Can the SWG Power Center be tied into the pool pump to be activated?

Mar 30, 2011
Tempe/AZ
Question for you all.

I have an existing Pentair Variable Speed Inteliflow VS+ pump that I installed last year. I just bought the Pentair IC-40 SWG system and i'm curious on the power supply center. When I hook this up, the power center will run 24/7 correct? To prevent it from running 24/7 is there a way to tie in the power center to the VS pump so the power center only turns on and produces chlorine when the pump runs? I would imagine by not having the power center run 24/7 it will increase its longevity. If this cannot be done by connecting it to my pump, is there an alternative method I can use to hook it up or is keeping the power center on 24/7 not an issue?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Eric

There is something called a current sensing relay that can sense when your pump is running and only then provide power to the SWG. It is not recommended to only rely on the flow sensor to stop the SWG generation.

Another less ideal solution would be to put the SWG on a external timer that you only have on when the pump is running its schedule. The concern being that the timers could get out of sync.

There is something called a current sensing relay that can sense when your pump is running and only then provide power to the SWG. It is not recommended to only rely on the flow sensor to stop the SWG generation.

Another less ideal solution would be to put the SWG on a external timer that you only have on when the pump is running its schedule. The concern being that the timers could get out of sync.

Is the current sensing relay something additional I need to purchase or is that part of the pump? If it is something I need to buy separate, do you know who in PHX might carry the item so I can go pick it up before he comes out tomorrow to install the power center?
I have an old pneumatic timer and the guy that is going to be installing my SWG power center recommended we connect it to that. I would rather find a better solution because as you said, they may get out of sync.

If your pump is switched on and off externally, then you can indeed hook the SWG up to the same power line. However, most variable speed pumps are always powered and are switched on/off either by internal timers or by external low voltage control systems. When using the internal timer approach, the only way to control the SWG is with a current sensing relay. When you have some external low voltage automation system, it generally has the ability to be setup to control the SWG as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.