Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Normal FC drop overnight?

1. Back To Top    #1

Normal FC drop overnight?

What is considered normal for an overnight FC drop? I am trying to eliminate mustard algae as a problem and tested my water last night and again this morning. I tested last night(more than once) and got 4.5 and 5 in 2 different tests. This morning I am getting 4 and 4.5 in 3 different tests. Looks like I have lost .5ppm FC and possibly up to 1 ppm but not more than 1ppm. I was hoping for no loss at all. Is this drop normal?
    24' AGP vinyl, 3/4hp Pentair 2-speed, Pentair Quad DE 60
    Pool Rover Jr.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: Normal FC drop overnight?

1ppm or less is normal. I don't think it's algae.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Normal FC drop overnight?

Ideally there shouldn't be any overnight drop. But the test is +-0.5, so the total error on two tests can be up to 1.0 and still be normal. However, mustard algae in particular can have very low FC loss overnight, so a loss of 1.0 could be mustard algae. The only way to be really sure is to do the test again using the test that measures by 0.2.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School