Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to test Sodium hypochlorite % in liquid Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

How to test Sodium hypochlorite % in liquid Chlorine

I have been reading a fair bit on here and i couldnt find it .My problem is that i have to ship liquid chlorine from 500 miles away so i would like to buy it in reasonable amounts . The room i will keep it in is well ventilated but will have a temp of anything upto 85-90 in the day time .The question i have how to test the strentgh of the stored chlorine as it drops off over time rather than just putting it in the pool and check the readings can di it under a more controlled way so i can add it to the pool ocording to strentgh .
    Home built Concrete pool tiled 100% 6M X 12M 1.1-1.6 m deep 93,000 litres 24,500 US gallons
    Emaux SB15 1.5hp pump ,Emaux v700B Sand Filter with Zealbrite
    Emaux SSC50-T 45g/hr swg ,Jacuzzi chlorine Tablet Feeder

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to test Sodium hypochlorite % in liquid Chlorine

I know of no commonly available test kit that will measure anywhere near that range, although I am sure there are professional methods, and someone should be along soon with a better answer, on a side point have you considered getting a SWCG (Salt water chlorine generator) for your pool which would let you avoid the vast majority of liquid chlorine demands, as I suspect common salt is probably easier to obtain there?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your input i would like to purchase a SWCG at some point when funds permit unfortunatly they are between 25-50% more expensive here in Thailand than in the US or AUS i do have some friends scattered about maybe if they come for a visit they can put one in there suitcase .As for salt there are large salt "fields" within 30 miles of my house i guess that would be ok for the pool they sell it on the side of the road in huge bags i suppose it should be ok maybe dilute it first .
    Home built Concrete pool tiled 100% 6M X 12M 1.1-1.6 m deep 93,000 litres 24,500 US gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

There are a few threads on the forum describing a method to get an estimate of the strength. Here is one of them to get you started:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...iquid-chlorine
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

It is possible to measure bleach concentration using a standard test kit, but it requires care and can easily go wrong. You need to do a 10,000 to 1 dilution of the bleach, and can then measure the result with your standard FC test. The issue is that very high dilutions like that are error prone, most especially they are subject to cross contamination.

One way to do the dilution is to add 10 ml of bleach to 1 liter of water, mix throughly, then add 10 ml of that to another liter of water, mix throughly and then test the FC level. The two liters of water need to be chlorine free, commonly distilled water is used. Also, the 10 ml measurement needs to be as accurate as possible, typically done using a syringe or pipette.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the advice i have a syringe that does 10ml in 1 ml steps so il give it a go ,be interested to see what % it is when i got it, as it is 4 weeks old .