Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Guy Quit

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Guy Quit

This site has been a serious help. Pool turned green, pool guy said sorry, good luck. Having nothing but a cheesy HD test kit I immediately ordered a K-2006. I started the addition of liquid chlorine, 24 hour pump time, twice a day brushing and once a day vacuum. It started looking good slowly. Got the test kit yesterday, CYA at well over 100 answered many questions. Drained 1/3 and refilled.
    FC-15.5
    TC-16.5
    pH- 7.8
    TA-200
    CYA-80
    CH-90
    5 days into it and it looks much better. Grateful to have found this site.

In Hawaii it's pool time 365. No room for green pools.
    13,000 IG Plaster Kidney 1972, Triton II Sand, AO Smith 1/2 Horse Single, K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Guy Quit

Ha! Sounds like you' ve done some reading and are making good decisions! Jealous of the 365/6!

3. Back To Top    #3

Pool Guy Quit

Welcome to TFP !
    Congrats on taking control ! Once you get a handle on things is going to be very easy.
    Your test results. Your still showing a CC of one. Keep following the SLAM Process. Your shock level FC is 31 for a CYA of 80. How does your water look ?
    Your PH test be will invalid with FC levels of 10,or higher. The PH will read a false high. Another reason to have lower CYA levels so your FC range is below 10. That way you can accurately test PH.
    Your TA is a little high. When your PH gets to 7.8 lower it with acid and your TA will also start to lower albeit slowly. At some point it will fall in line. You'll know this when your PH is fairly stable. What is the TA of your fill water ?

Your CH is low so you could use cal hypo for chlorine to raise that level up. What is the CH of your fill water ?
    If this is a non SWG pool you could lower the CYA level a bit more. Going forward what is your chlorine source going to be ? No pucks I hope.
    Here are the recommended levels. After your done with the SLAM process you can work on the other things. Keep reading in pool school. Lots of info there so read things a few times to digest it.
    Recommended Levels
    Any questions you may have don't hesitate to ask. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

WELCOME! It is so nice to see someone that ordered a test kit and knew what to do from reading! You are a 100 steps closer to have a clear pool than most newbies!

GREAT JOB!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome!!

You should send a pic to your pool guy when you're crystal clear, and say thanks for the good luck wish.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Consider yourself lucky he quit, imagine the savings you will realize over the coming years.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Welcome to the Forum, and I have to say, Kudos to you. I applaud anyone and everyone who is willing to take control of their own pool, especially those who are wise enough to get on the TFPC method.

as indicated above, crank the FC up, (or drop the CYA more). and get to SLAMing.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

8. Back To Top    #8

Congrats, sounds like you are getting there, although you may want to do one more partial drain /fill cycle to get your CYA down a bit more, 80 is on the very upper end of of what we consider maintainable for a non SWG pool.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Been 13 days since I started a SLAM in the blind. Today, she is crystal clear. I did 3 partial drains (as much as would drain without an outside pump), the current figures are below. Alkalinity and Calcium need work, but I am a believer. Puck the puck, it's BBB for me. Glad I had the POPP to see it through. The last few days of 1.5 or 1 CC were irritating for sure.

I appreciate all of the comments. And yes, money will definitely be saved. Plus being a DIY kind of guy, it worked out good for it to be a disaster that introduced me to this site. I will pass it along to the pool guy. Not a bad guy, just misinformed like so many.

FC. 14.5
    CC. 0
    pH. 7.6
    TA. 110
    CYA. 53
    CH. 90

Input water
    TA. 70
    CH. 70

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Banzai
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Welcome to TFP!! You did a great job in almost record time.

The Big island is my favorite. Rented a small house on the water in Puako on the Kona side for a week and just slowly explored the island. Met a "forum" friend from a camping forum while there and just had a blast.

With your knowledge stick around and help out new folks when they show up.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

12. Back To Top    #12

Welcome. Home you're in Lava zone 3 or better.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

13. Back To Top    #13

To confirm, what was your overnight FC loss?

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks, yes we are on the Hamakua coast, flow zone 8.

Overnight FC loss is zero, confirmed over the past 3 days.
    13,000 IG Plaster Kidney 1972, Triton II Sand, AO Smith 1/2 Horse Single, K-2006