New build in North Atlanta

There are a limited number of solar pool heater manufacturers. Mast are sold through local dealers. Helicol.com is one. Fafco.com is another. Solardirect.com sells over the internet. Evosun is another.

Read their websites and then have the local Helicol dealer and Fafco dealers come out give their dog and pony show and a quote. That can help you make intelligent decisions.

Frankly, there is not much difference between Helicol and Fafco. Depending on your exposure, pool size and setup they will both perform roughly about the same.

I just wrote a big long post on solar, then lost it with a misclick, but the short version was search on here there are many threads on the subject, one good source for info is http://h2otsun.com/ even if you don't buy their panels, and don't get too caught up in all the marketing hype, or goes to paying for longer warranty coverage. In my personal opinion there is a far bigger spread on cost than there is on quality between the major brands, much of the difference I suspect goes into slick marketing materials as the actual thermal performance difference between any of the major brands of panels is fairly minimal (within 5-10%) under ideal test conditions. In the real world this may be completely irrelevant, as this is due to factors such as flat panels loose less heat to wind, and separated tubes get the most area exposed to sunlight....

Ike

ps here is my install thread from a couple of years ago http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/54481-Solar-Panel-Replacement-Update

Need advice for my father, his pool has a leak in underground plumbing or skimmer, any thoughts on ways to detect leak?? He has found them before but says very time consuming and wanted to know if anyone here had a quicker method. He has 36 foot shotcrete/plaster pool and spa. Thanks!

Shotcrete planned for tomorrow.... Will keep my fingers crossed that we have no more rain. Rained a lot this weekend and standing water of about 1/2 foot in the deep end... Obviously will have to pump this out prior to shotcrete, but does it matter that the ground is so saturated by the rain??
We had a two week delay due to PB not submitting new plans to the city after moving slide from original location, then hit a week of sub freezing temps to further slow the shotcrete....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow - usually, I think Shotcrete makes the size of the pool look smaller. Yours looks huge - and now the definition of the slide is really visible. I'm sure you are glad that part is done and now any rain will just fill up the pool! - Karen

Thanks for comments guys. Still trying to decide what to do in order to get most swimming days each year. Looking at handy heat pump to go with the 400 btu gas heater, gain a few months at cheaper rates in fall and spring thus prolong season.... Anyone know any good advice re: heating year round - or as close to year round that's financially sensible?

Just curious, since that slide is more or less on its own as far as concrete goes, what will they do to prevent cracks? As it looks like just a large sidewalk, and sidewalks crack like crazy around here. And you can't put control joints in that slide like you would in a sidewalk. I was just wondering that as I was looking at it, I still love it. Do you have really good soil?

I had my pool plumbed for a Polaris 360 when it was built. I also have the Paramount cleaning system with Pentair variable speed pump. I had to force the PB to install the extra plumbing for a fee. To tell the truth the dual combination is fantastic. I run them at different times. The Paramount is excellent for the Spa, steps. The Polaris 360 gets everything the Paramount misses. The 360 does not need a booster pump. Really cheap to install the Polaris line during the build. Very expensive later. As far as the electric Robots go they do a really good job but do not last very long . You also are not supposed to leave the Electric Robots in full time. My Polaris 360 stays in the pool 24/7 except when the Grand Kids come over. My neighbor has another brand in pool pop up cleaner system installed and added Electric Robots to assist cleaning. He has gone 3 electric robots and I am still on my original Polaris 360. I have another friend who has a Polaris 260 or 380 which he loves but continuously goes thru booster pumps. He has replaced quite a few booster pumps.,My 360 uses the same pump as the pool uses and with a whole lot less kw . I did not want 2 pumps running burning up power. I think Paramount cleaner with Polaris 360 is the best combination . Just my opinion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.