Pool Closing Water Level

Gary R

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2012
Hi to all;

In the process of closing pool for the season and am wondering what is the correct level below the skimmer to lower pool. Read several different opinions on the forums. We're in an area that drops below zero over the winter. We do put anti-freeze in all lines.

Thanks for any help,

Gary R.

There are also times the CYA will deplete over winter on its own without the help of water replacement.
Then there are times, if your unlucky, the CYA will get converted to ammonia over the winter by some type of bacteria. The forum had numerous cases of this in the past spring.
You'll know if it has happened when you first try to balance the water and your test results show zero CYA, very high CC's, can't hold any FC and the water is crystal clear. You have an ammonia problem now. ?

You are all making me wonder if I should drain mine below the skimmer. I closed yesterday and left the water level alone. Took a bath plugging the skimmers with them blowing. I could drop the level and use the shop vac to empty the little bit of water that's in the skimmers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, it can get nasty when blowing skimmer lol

A trick I use, if you have ball valves for skimmers and main drains, when lowering water, you can almost completely drain the skimmer from the equipment pad if you play around with the valves. Key is limiting the air going into pump basket. This way, when you blow skimmer, there isn't a lot of water in there to soak ya.

I thought about trying those skinner plug things, but couldn't find them locally. I was gonna plug them then use the shop vac to suck most of the air out before I blew the lines. I would only have to drop 3-4 inches to be below the skimmer. I didn't know if my cover had a mesh panel or not, so I didn't want to drain just to have rainwater fill it back up. This is our first year with the pool.

I went below the returns this year in my pool. Thought about going just below the skimmer to avoid having to add as much CYA in the spring. We get such deep freezes here than I didn't want the thick ice layer right on the returns... I would think that even if the 8+" thick ice that usually forms was right on the returns there wouldn't be much chance of damage due to ice expansion/intrusion but didn't want to chance it. With our long cold winters here, it's mandatory to at least take it below the skimmers for freeze and function of my safety cover.

Mine seemed like the never ending search for the perfect level. Too far below the skimmer gets close to the returns. Too much below the returns and you are at the light. Too much below that and it's empty on the shallow end. :) I may knock the three inches out to get it below the skimmer. We don't get extended deep freezes in KY. It'll freeze I'm sure, but I doubt it's ever more than 2 inches in an average year.

Not to hijack, and I think it's a valid question to go with this discussion, but is there a waterproof cover that you can put over your skimmers? I'm pumping down the level a couple inches to be just below the skimmers using a utility pump. My cover will catch whatever rain lands on the poll. The concrete will run off the rest. The skimmer covers aren't under the cover. Is there something besides like a trash bag and a brick that is meant to keep water from filling the skimmer through the cover? I don't want to put antifreeze in there just to have it diluted and flow back in the pool anyway. I'd like to keep the skimmers free of any water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have in the past used an old piece of liner, seemed to keep water from entering little hole in top of skimmer cover, but again, the mouth becomes an issue

In fact, I cover my filter with an old piece of liner because I bring the multiport inside for the winter

Hopefully the mouth of mine will be above water if everything works as planned. I have a piece of liner. I may make two long strips to run from under the cover over the skimmer and use an edger to hold it all down. Best plan I can hope for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.