Plumbing For Jet Pump for winter use

JHN

Nov 4, 2014
Highland Park, IL
I close my pool but keep my inground spa open all winter. To prevent freezing I had to run both the filter pump and jet pump (spa) once the freezing weather stayed. I hear there is a way to plumb the system to run water through the jet pump when the filter pump is running so the jet pump doesn't have to run to keep from freezing. Does anyone know that configuration or diagram?

20141104_152750_zpsa983d580.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20141104_152608_zps58cc7190.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

If the jet pump is a completely separate loop, then I am not sure how that would easily be possible.

Can you post up some pictures of your plumbing setup?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

You would just need to tie both spa suction lines together with a 2-way valve and the spa return lines together with a 2-way valve. When in "freeze" mode, you leave the valves open and run just the filter pump. When using the spa and the jets are running, the the valves should then be closed. I assume the controller cycles between spa and pool modes when in freeze mode?

Last winter I had the pool co close it and they set it up so it was always in pool mode and switched the valves to the spa, so the system thought it was in pool mode when it was actually running the spa, that way the electric valves don't have to do anything in the winter.

Is that an equipment room that could be heated? Does it have a roof?

Do you know if the pipes that run to the spa are below the frost line (~3') ?

If yes to both questions, then maybe you don't need to run the pump at all to prevent freezing. You would just need to run the spa heater once in a while so the water in the spa won't freeze. A cover on the spa would help that.

But yes, you could still tie the suction and return lines together but then you will have to manually switch them back and forth because I don't think you can use an actuator that is triggered off of freeze control.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One option is to cover the room with a tarp and use just a simple light bulb to keep temps above freezing which really shouldn't be too hard since it is somewhat sheltered. If the pipes go below 32" underground, they should be protected from freezing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.