Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stenner Pump wiring

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner Pump wiring

Planning to change out my DIY suction feeder to a Stenner. Question is on wiring. I have a Intermatic pf1202t with cleaner side disconnected which can be used for Stenner I assume. Also a GFCI outlet on side. Is it better to buy a 220v Stenner and hard wire it, or can the outlet be wired to the timer and a 115v Stenner just plugged in? Ebay/Lockewell seems to be the lowest cost, any problems buying there? Looking at 45M1.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48” PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner Pump wiring

It should be just fine with a cord/plug or hardwired. I have a 115v Stenner that came with a power cord with a standard plug. I removed the power cord to hard wire it without any trouble. I kind of regret doing that, as it would be nice to be able to simply unplug it so I could take the pump head in for the winter.

As with any eBay vendor, check their ratings. Otherwise they should be fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If I wire the gfci outlet to the timer, will the circuit still be protected when the pump is off?

IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

If you wire the gfci outlet to the load side of the timer the circuit on the line side of the timer won't be protected when the timer is timed off.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, think I'll go the 220 hard wire route.

edit: On order! Locke Well has very good prices!
    45MP1 - Stenner Pumps Chemical Feeder (45MP1)
    Stenner Voltage 220 Volt 60 Hz = B
    Stenner Tube Type 1/4 UV Black = 2

Ordered a used 15 gallon drum on Ebay. Plan to wire it to the extra T104 timer. Didn't really like the idea of a separate 120v timer, what if the pool pump fails for some reason, and the Stenner starts pumping without circulation...

IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

6. Back To Top    #6

I ordered the 1/4" black tubing with the Stenner pump. What is the fitting that goes to the pool pipe? 1/4" NPT? I'm ordering the reducing bushing and need to know if I need a 1/4" or 1/2" female thread. Thanks!
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

7. Back To Top    #7

You can use either 1/4" or 1/2". The Stenner injector has both threads available for installation.
    19k gal, IG, Rectangle, Pebble, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge, Intelliflo VS Pump, IntellichlorSWG, Aquacal SQ-155 Heatpump, Aquaclean Aclean1 Robotic Cleaner, TF-100, Dec 2013, Jacksonville FL

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, went with 1/2", much stronger connection. I ordered the 220volt, does it have a 220v plug on the cord (funky 90 degree tab)? I was going to hard wire it, but don't want to void the warranty. Wiring into spare 104T timer in my Intermatic box.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes. It will have a 220v plug on the cord. The manufacture will void the warranty if you cut the cord.
    19k gal, IG, Rectangle, Pebble, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge, Intelliflo VS Pump, IntellichlorSWG, Aquacal SQ-155 Heatpump, Aquaclean Aclean1 Robotic Cleaner, TF-100, Dec 2013, Jacksonville FL

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by makinc View Post
    Yes. It will have a 220v plug on the cord. The manufacture will void the warranty if you cut the cord.
    Correct.

Just wire a NEMA 6-20R 250v receptacle off your timer that matches the Stenner plug.

Here is mine
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

That's my plan. I ordered one of these in case it rains. I think I'll bolt the box onto the bottom of the Intermatic panel hole to hole (my panel is a double and has room). Cost of weatherproof cover, box, and 220 receptacle, all about the same as guys seem to be paying for a plug-in timer. How'd you do the labels?
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

12. Back To Top    #12

The cleaner motor I removed that was attached to the 2nd t104 timer didn't have a ground in the line, but had an external ground tied to the frame. I should probably run a ground in the cable since the Stenner has an internal ground, right?

IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by tcat View Post
    How'd you do the labels?
    I used a Brother P-Touch label maker

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tcat View Post
    The cleaner motor I removed that was attached to the 2nd t104 timer didn't have a ground in the line, but had an external ground tied to the frame. I should probably run a ground in the cable since the Stenner has an internal ground, right?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    The "external ground" is really not a ground, but part of the pool bonding. If you are adding anything that has a ground lug (green screw), yes you should make sure it is grounded.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

You should get a cover like the one I posted below. The type of cover you bought is only weatherproof when nothing is plugged in. The dome type cover keeps everything dry while your stenner cord is plugged in.

Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

15. Back To Top    #15

That's a better cover than I bought, but anything is better than nothing. Here's mine: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HEFDSS/...528360_TE_dp_2
    Once plugged in it will be at a low angle and protect pretty well. It's also going to be 6" under my Intermatic box which actually hangs out farther than the receptacle.
    Will post pictures once I get everything from Amazon. I am anxious to start up the Stenner (not that I need much Clorox right now, probably a 5 minute cycle).
    The Stenner had a broken connector (one end of internal tube) in shipping. Took me a while to figure out how to install the spare, but found a good Youtube video that helped a lot (pictures in manual stink). They sent me a new one 10 minutes after I emailed them about it (Locke Well Pump - great service and prices).

Edit: Just got 3 boxes in today. Fittings for hooking into heat pump (PVCfittingsonline, great prices), electrical for Stenner, and new gauge for my DE filter. Too bad it in the 30's out there, not really thinking "pool". I'll probably go out and freeze my butt off anyway.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vi8vp0g46...Parts.jpg?dl=0
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

16. Back To Top    #16

Update. Wired into Intermatic timer no problem. The white thing lower left is an old styrofoam cooler (shipping container) I put over the pump motor since it's in direct sunlight (holes poked in sides to vent). Second picture is a test, it pumps exactly 8 ounces in 30 minutes. Timer with On/Off butted against each other is exactly 1 hour. So much nicer (and more accurate) than trying to regulate a needle valve under vacuum (my previous automated method).

220 Outlet
    Stenner and 15 gallon tank
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB