pH TFP recommendations vs "the literature"

Ed Buell

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 12, 2014
Venice Florida
Thanks to the TFP leaders for helping me get my pool in great shape.

Question though
a lot of the "literature" seems to recommend pH levels in the 7.2 - 7.5 range
based on eye pH or other ..........who knows what.

the TFP recommended levels are 7.5 to 7.8.

What is the background and reasons. 7.5 - 7.8 seems to work
find for me and there is no "irritation" issues.

Just trying to learn

Ed

Well for one, the pH rises slower at the higher pH values ... changing from 7.2 to 7.5 will happen more quickly than 7.5 to 7.8. So, by maintaining a higher pH, you likely will require less acid to keep it there.

But, there is not a one size fits all recommendation either. If you happen to have high CH and TA water, you may need to try to maintain a lower pH in order to prevent calcium scaling.

Eye irritation starts just below 7.2, though that varies a fair bit from person to person.

The most common recommendation I see other places is 7.2 to 7.8. We cut off the lower half of that range due to PH drift issues. The lower the PH, the more PH drift you are likely to experience. Also, our recommendations are for pools with CYA. For pools where CYA is really zero, there are some potential advantages for PH being lower.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.