Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH TFP recommendations vs "the literature"

1. Back To Top    #1

Red face pH TFP recommendations vs "the literature"

Thanks to the TFP leaders for helping me get my pool in great shape.

Question though
    a lot of the "literature" seems to recommend pH levels in the 7.2 - 7.5 range
    based on eye pH or other ..........who knows what.

the TFP recommended levels are 7.5 to 7.8.

What is the background and reasons. 7.5 - 7.8 seems to work
    find for me and there is no "irritation" issues.

Just trying to learn

Ed
    Pool home in Venice Florida. No pool home upstate NY. Retiree from Navy Nuclear Power Design Laboratory.
    9500 gallon plaster pool. cartridge filter, pentair vs pump, fafco solar heater.
    New to the pool thing. Learning.
    Part time requires a pool service for pool maintenance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH TFP recommendations vs "the literature"

Well for one, the pH rises slower at the higher pH values ... changing from 7.2 to 7.5 will happen more quickly than 7.5 to 7.8. So, by maintaining a higher pH, you likely will require less acid to keep it there.

But, there is not a one size fits all recommendation either. If you happen to have high CH and TA water, you may need to try to maintain a lower pH in order to prevent calcium scaling.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Eye irritation starts just below 7.2, though that varies a fair bit from person to person.

The most common recommendation I see other places is 7.2 to 7.8. We cut off the lower half of that range due to PH drift issues. The lower the PH, the more PH drift you are likely to experience. Also, our recommendations are for pools with CYA. For pools where CYA is really zero, there are some potential advantages for PH being lower.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I've been letting the pH sit around 7.5 to 7.6 for several days. There pH seems to be more stable
    at the slightly higher level and I haven't made any acid additions for the last 3 days.

woohoo!!!!!
    Pool home in Venice Florida. No pool home upstate NY. Retiree from Navy Nuclear Power Design Laboratory.
    9500 gallon plaster pool. cartridge filter, pentair vs pump, fafco solar heater.
    New to the pool thing. Learning.
    Part time requires a pool service for pool maintenance.

5. Back To Top    #5

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!