Problems with pool cover (above ground)...1st winter

Jun 27, 2014
Boston, MA
Pool installed this summer. We closed it up and used the pool cover that is like a big round tarp with grommet holes. There is a wire that goes around the pool through the grommets and then cranks tight. Pool guy said not to use milk/bleach jugs through grommet holes as they will rip open from weight. Well, with the Sharkline pool, the top of the poles are big and bulky and the wire does not fit snugly "under" them. We have had the cover come off the pool a few times now...it fills with rain water and then the wire "slips" above the pole top and the tarp sits on top of the pool water before we can pump the rainwater out. We did add a few milk jugs to some grommets but didn't pull it super tight to avoid ripping grommets. Anyone know what to do about this issue?

You could try some cover clips along with some jugs.
That's one of the problems with the cheap covers.
972ea70de1653cec085f6d0cbc0f829d.jpg

This is the cover I use. The grommets are reinforced. It cost more than the regular AG cover's, but has worked great for me.
http://www.poolandspa.com/catalog/product-The-Ultimate-Winter-Pool-Cover.cfm. ?

The trick with bleach or milk jugs is to only fill them about 1/3rd full and use small bungee's to secure them to the cover. I'll replace my 4 year old cover this year because it's gotten some holes in it, not because the grommets ripped out.

We have a 24x54 sharkline. We live in one of the windiest places around. We can't keep a cover on it. Two years ago we went thru 3 covers. After that i went to NO cover, and it's worked out pretty well, but we have no trees around--so not a big deal with debris getting into pool/
You're right, there is no good way on those sharklines to atatch a ratchetted wire that holds a cover on. They are all plastic to boot, so i was real leary of putting any kind of holder into the plastic uprights. I figured when cold, the plastic will become brittle, and break any hold down right out of the upright. Clips, as well, seemed somewhat useless, as our wind gets pretty violent. You may have much less wind pressure. I tried to stake down ropes which held to the cover wire, but as you could guess, the grommets would rip. We figured if we wanted to go back to a cover, we'd have to fasten one half to our wooden deck, and get some major league stakes for around the other half of pool. Maybe something like that would work for you. If you used milk jugs, along with some water filled pillows, stakes, and/or atatch to a deck, it may work if your wind isn't usually very bad. Shotgun approach????
Someone here mentioned hurricanepoolcovers.com They looked good, just more $$ than I wanted to spend when no cover seems to work for us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.