Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wrong plaster color

1. Back To Top    #1

Wrong plaster color

I am having a new pool installed and a disaster has struck. We requested a "midnight blue" color and our PB used "tahoe blue" instead today. This might not be a huge problem except that it seems much lighter than the "tahoe blue" sample, and a very big difference from the "midnight blue" we asked for.

I looked through all the paperwork and could not find it in writing anywhere that we requested "midnight blue", but we sat down together in a store and both my wife and I remember very clearly that's what we both wanted.

Am I just screwed and have to get used to it? Is there anything we can do to help darken the appearance, which, to our eyes, looks like a cheap vinyl liner baby blue? We both don't like it.
    10k gal IG w/ salt system, spa, gas heater, and auto cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wrong plaster color

Seems like you should be talking to the installer and not random internet people

If it was not written down anywhere, then you may be out of luck. You could certainly have it chipped back out and the correct finish applied.

One note is that it is hard to get a feel for the color the pool will end up just looking at the installed finish before any washing and filling.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If it's not in the contract, then technically you can't do anything about it from a legal standpoint. But if you specifically told your PB what color you wanted and he did something else, he made a big mistake and the right thing to do would be to replaster it the color you wanted. That's not just an oops sorry kind of mistake.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

The largest problem with PB in general is that the crews are always building the last pool and not your pool.

Practical alternatives:

1. Live with it. See what it looks like in a month. If you are ok then. Live with it.

2.Replace it. Once its in you have to chip it out. Messy dirty and guarantied not to look exactly like you want it to look. With plaster color its important to look at a pool with the plaster you want color swatches don't work very well.

Legal

If the contract is silent as to plaster color then you have a good case. It is important that you notify PB in writing immediately upon learning it is a different color. Give the PB a chance to mitigate. If he refuses to do anything go get some bids to fix it.

It would be interesting to know what he ordered. Ask him for a copy of his suppliers job invoice. If he just took it out of stock did he have midnight blue in stock? He must have written something down when you met him. There must be some internal record. Do they have a job log? Ask for a copy. Most construction companies have 2 -- the office log and the superintendent's log -- many PBs only have one -- the office log. But ask for it. It should say what you ordered and what they requested from the warehouse or supplier.

If you want to sue in small claims court. Use the Bids as evidence.

Lawsuits (even in small claims) are never fun. You need to decide -- do I want a war or can I live with it.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

I have seen on here before that sometimes the manufacturer messed up with the color order or that a batch of plaster was mislabeled. Then it wouldn't be even the PB who is at fault. Then again, PB should have been there when plaster was being applied and stop it from being put on in the first place if it was the wrong color. Mine was.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jojoman View Post
    I have seen on here before that sometimes the manufacturer messed up with the color order or that a batch of plaster was mislabeled. Then it wouldn't be even the PB who is at fault. Then again, PB should have been there when plaster was being applied and stop it from being put on in the first place if it was the wrong color. Mine was.
    I remember reading that on your thread - it's why I keep insisting the project manager be onsite for the plaster installation. This is the part that scares me the most. -Karen
    New in 2017, will update

7. Back To Top    #7

I would have to find a way to be home for at least the start of the plaster due to this kind of thing!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Ouch, this is a sticky situation. best of luck. I have nothing really to add, except to say Midnight blue makes for a very very dark pool.

We had a plaster mix up...kinda...except ours was that the pool builder hired an outside of the area contractor who was in town doing a pool for my contractors brother (my contractors brother has the rep as being the best in the area...but he was over 20k higher than my contractor on my pool)...That meant I got quartz plaster for the price of marble. It was the best surprise I've had in years when I saw the bags of quartz plaster on a trailer in front of my house.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

9. Back To Top    #9

Now if only we all could have mix ups like that!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

They don't make "cheap vinyl liners" in midnight blue?
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Killer95Stang View Post
    They don't make "cheap vinyl liners" in midnight blue?
    I resemble that remark! Hahaha

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

Keep in mind your "dry" color and wet color will be different as the wet is MUCH darker than dry.
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

13. Back To Top    #13

We decided to just live with it. The PB claimed he could tweak it with a "pool restart" in two weeks if we weren't satisfied with the color, but I think he's just buying time for us to calm down and accept it as-is. The color is deepening a bit as it cures. It is still much lighter than we wanted, but it looks ok.

Now I'm struggling with the cover installer damaging the coping somehow with big scrape marks. Of course he denies it, but I have a picture the day before he worked and the day after, and the scrapes appear between the two photos.

Frustrating.
    10k gal IG w/ salt system, spa, gas heater, and auto cover.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Time to update your signature

We need pictures ....
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Pictures or it never happened
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

16. Back To Top    #16

Since it was not stated in your contract about that particular color for your pool, I'm afraid you can't do anything about it. Though I think, it'll become a lot better when it's finished. I agree that once water is added, it'll become darker in color.

17. Back To Top    #17

If you look at my build pics (sig) my plaster looked pretty much completely white on the day of plaster, and even a few days after, but almost 2 months later and the quartz has really come out nicely, albeit with a few imperfections not worth mentioning.