pentair intelliflo vsp

Nov 3, 2014
PORT SAINT LUCIE
My pool was just put in a few months ago I'm having a problem on how to use the timers correctly, there is a timer on the wall and a timer on the pentair pump,I called pentair and he told me to disconnect the wall timer because it is interfering with the other timer.So I went out there and looked at it again to see where the power was coming from and then I noticed it was connected to a PureChlor also which checks for alkalinity,salt etc. and I'm thinking what is he talking about,I'm going to call him later but I got to figure this out first by asking some pro's here.I have a pentair intelliflo varible speed pump that shuts down from the wall timer and is not coming back on even if I set it to the same time as the pentair pump.So I would appreciate any input anyone has.
THANK'S
JOE

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I am a little confused by your description. That VS pump has built-in timers, so usually there is constant power supplied to the pump. The wall time is required to make sure that the SWG only has power when the pump is running ... this is not an ideal setup because there is the chance the timers (pump and wall) could get out of sync.

If this is a new build, get the builder out there to make sure everything is working correctly and teach you how they think it should work.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

I have a dual wall timer. The left side can control the Intelliflo, but I just leave that side on all the time and use the Intelliflo to schedule pump run time. The right side of the wall timer is used to control the booster pump for the pool cleaner, and I do have that set up to run during a period of time I know the Intelliflo schedule will be running. I think it's stupid that I have to control them separately. It's like a disaster waiting to happen since the booster pump should never be run without the main pump. The booster pump should just plug into the Intelliflo and be controlled by it so that never happens. :hammer:

The whole wall timer device looks like something out of the 70s.

PF1202T.jpg

That being said, I think what the Pentair guy was trying to tell you is to leave the wall timer on all the time, and just schedule the pump run times through the Intelliflo. That way the automation system will always have power.

Tell me if Im understanding correctly.
You have an external timer to power to the VS pump?
You have another timer on the PureChlor?

If you have an external timer to the pump... Then you need to get the timer out of the power circuit to the Pump.
Whenever the external timer trips and the relay opens, the power is removed from the pump. When the timer relay closes and power is re-applied to the Intelliflo, the pump comes back on in default mode, and the programming will not run until you go to it push the "on" button.

Once you disconnect the timer from the pump, and have a run program set up,
then set your other timer for the pure chlor to coincide with the on and off times of the VS pump timer.

A better option is to use a controller to control the VS pump and the PureChlor, since sometimes, keeping the timers of the pump and teh purechlor in synch might be tricky, due to occasional power outage and other such events.

My pool was just put in a few months ago I'm having a problem on how to use the timers correctly, there is a timer on the wall and a timer on the pentair pump,I called pentair and he told me to disconnect the wall timer because it is interfering with the other timer.So I went out there and looked at it again to see where the power was coming from and then I noticed it was connected to a PureChlor also which checks for alkalinity,salt etc. and I'm thinking what is he talking about,I'm going to call him later but I got to figure this out first by asking some pro's here.I have a pentair intelliflo varible speed pump that shuts down from the wall timer and is not coming back on even if I set it to the same time as the pentair pump.So I would appreciate any input anyone has.
THANK'S
JOE

When I moved into my new house with a pool, it too had two mechanical timers. One fire the main pump and the other for the boost pump. I could never get them synced perfectly. So I bought the intermatic Digital timer and freeze sensor, that solved the sync problem. Then I installed my swg running that from the previously unused circuit 2. That worked great too! Then my single speed pump gave out and was replaced with the intelliflo vs pump. My Digital timer supplies the current to the vs pump now. I've had no difficulty whatsoever. Since the air temp is getting down to freeze level, I've reprogrammed the vs pump to run at 450 rpm 24/7 So when the freeze sensor is activated, water is circulating through the entire system. I also have a schedule to run the vs for the swg and skimming and boost pump which always run simultaneously anyhow. When the water temp gets below 50°, I'll reduce the skimming time and turn off power to the swg. Finally, when the timer it's not supplying current to the vs, yes, the vs will stop running until power is again scheduled by the digital at which time the vs will start to run whatever it's scheduled to run. It does not go to default anything as long as there's a scheduled event programmed. So far it's worked perfectly!

Re: pentair intelliflo vsp

Tell me if Im understanding correctly.
You have an external timer to power to the VS pump?
You have another timer on the PureChlor?

If you have an external timer to the pump... Then you need to get the timer out of the power circuit to the Pump.
Whenever the external timer trips and the relay opens, the power is removed from the pump. When the timer relay closes and power is re-applied to the Intelliflo, the pump comes back on in default mode, and the programming will not run until you go to it push the "on" button.

Once you disconnect the timer from the pump, and have a run program set up,
then set your other timer for the pure chlor to coincide with the on and off times of the VS pump timer.

A better option is to use a controller to control the VS pump and the PureChlor, since sometimes, keeping the timers of the pump and teh purechlor in synch might be tricky, due to occasional power outage and other such events.

Exactly, thats what I have to do turn it on daily and yes to both questions , the guy who installed the pool was ****** off because my poolman who comes once a week took the pins off the timer, the worst advice is when I called pentair and he told me to get an electrician and disconnect the timer on the wall and that timer also controls the purechlor.
My last pool had one timer,filter and pump never seen one like this,it will take me a bit longer to learn how this works. Until then I have to pay someone to maintain it.
Anyway the guy who put the pool in is coming over thursday,I mean everything is working but like you said I have to turn it on every day.
THANK'S

==========
QWxjJhJghgv_11220822.jpg

===============
Thanks for the help but this pool is not even 6 months old why should I dump more money into it,another guy told me to take the timer off the wall,I'm pretty confused and ****** off of the way the installer is handleing this.
He has got a poblem with me because the home builder put the sod down and he did not pull it up or try to save it,he just dug right into it and now he wants me to pay $827.00 for new sod.
Was I wrong not to pay him while I'm on the subject.
THANK'S

-------
6W4HQ1mEWQb7ltjt2pz2ujH3mVnaZ7T8lyOIzJJYmAQxFGbF_jG6aj1so9uDvDT6j1wyPO_EXhd7NmgIhggXcCX9O18nzIOnqhI_5K0cHBYEMOhXgLJ1loWGBdZvENimGA=s0-d-e1-ft

T-9Mq6DX9aSwn7urs_rzpG68l8B11b0GBKKRpnJsOgLzeIEpNdhMdPo-odDFY6_UAmNA7nHcpSgcBsXPUMlE9vcInVuzugM4YYo8bpf1BbxF4NHIVPN9j8t06FDYCNHSEA=s0-d-e1-ft

PS.............this black security fence that was around my door,what do they go for. tks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.