1. Back To Top    #1

pH Keeps Rising

Numbers this morning from the Taylor kit:

pH 8.0
    TA 120
    FC 5.4
    CH 260 (have really hard water here)
    CYA 40

I have been adding 20-40oz of 14.5% muriatic acid per the pool calc recommendation daily in the morning. pH goes down to 7.5 in the evening then goes back up to 8.0 the next morning. Is this normal?
    12,000 gallon IG plaster
    Cartridge filter
    Intellifo VS
    EasyTouch Controller
    Pentair SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH Keeps Rising

It does not really sound right to jump that fast. Do you have any bubbles coming from the returns. Also is the pump basket completely full. Do you see any bubbles when the pump it running.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

3. Back To Top    #3

I have no bubbles in the returns except when the solar comes on of course. The pump basket is full and there are no bubbles.

I just did a 50% water change. Could that have an effect?
    12,000 gallon IG plaster
    Cartridge filter
    Intellifo VS
    EasyTouch Controller
    Pentair SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you have any type of aeration such as a waterfall, returns turned upward, etc? What are you using for chlorination?
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

PH increase (other than chemical additions) comes from fresh plaster, or high TA combined with aeration (negative edge, waterfall, SWG, splashing, bubbler, etc). Your TA is high enough to cause some noticeable PH increase, but unless you have a very high aeration rate yours is faster than we would expect.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a waterfall but it is off because the cover is on. The pool is 13 or 14 years old. I guess I'll keep adding for a bit and see if it levels out.

Good news is FC is doing great!
    12,000 gallon IG plaster
    Cartridge filter
    Intellifo VS
    EasyTouch Controller
    Pentair SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Stayed at 7.6 overnight.
    12,000 gallon IG plaster
    Cartridge filter
    Intellifo VS
    EasyTouch Controller
    Pentair SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

I am having the same issue with ph being higher than the day before after adding acid every morning. Sounds like having water fall and bubbles in the return are the cause of the PH rising every day?
    I have same size, type pool and readings but pool is only 8 mo. old.
    Built 3/14, 12.5K, .75 HP Stealth pump (2) 1 filter 1 popup clean sys, IG plaster, Jandy DE48 filter, Paramount O3 Ozinator, Nature2 purifier, 400K nat gas heat, pool master 5-way.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

In the Industry

anything that adds air or aeration to water will increase Ph. Sheesh, 15 kids doing cannon balls can increase Ph.

10. Back To Top    #10

But after initial startup and balancing, I didn't have to add acid for weeks, the total alk hovered at 80 to 90, now at 120, cya around 350. I now use liquid chl, not tablets.
    Built 3/14, 12.5K, .75 HP Stealth pump (2) 1 filter 1 popup clean sys, IG plaster, Jandy DE48 filter, Paramount O3 Ozinator, Nature2 purifier, 400K nat gas heat, pool master 5-way.

11. Back To Top    #11

Is your TA high in the fill water? Perhaps evaporation and refill has increased it over time. At a higher TA, there will be more pH rise.

Also, if you were using Trichlor tabs after initial startup and balancing, the Trichlor tabs are acidic so effectively were adding acid to the pool to keep the pH from rising as quickly.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"