New Pool Build – Kingwood, TX

Oct 31, 2014
Kingwood, TX
After reading TFP for about 7 months, it’s finally time to write our first post. Fortunately, that means our pool build is right around the corner. Going through the pool design, builder quoting and number crunching proved to be more work than we ever thought.

We live in the Humble / Kingwood, TX area (Northeast of Houston) and live on an acre lot. When we purchased the house, it already had an existing koi pond and putting green. The koi pond and waterfall were very nice and soothing. There were just two issues: cleaning it twice a year and the fear of dogs tearing a hole in the liner. Plus, I could never convince the wife that laying out and taking a dip in the pond was a proper alternative to a pool. The putting green was starting to wear thin and would need to be replaced in about 5 years. That being said, we decided to save up and build a pool.

We started interviewing / meeting with pool builders in March, yes I know that is a long time ago, but it gave us a real number to save for. We actually thought we could build a pool for 35k with all of our wants…….HAHAHAHA

We had the following pool builders quote our pool:

Anthony Sylvan
Cody Pools
Blue Lagoon Pools
Houston Cool Pools
Platinum Pools
Aqua Clean Pools
Pool N Spa Artistry

We narrowed it down to Blue Lagoon, Aqua Clean and Pool N Spa Artistry.

We ended up choosing Pool N Spa Artistry based on past references and workmanship. The owner Robert Salinas has done work for our family and friends for a long time and he gave us the best feeling through the bid process.

Here is a list of our wants:

- Waterfall
- Lagoon Style
- Patio slab for future outdoor kitchen
- Large Sun Shelf
- Stamped Concrete (not overlay)

Here is what the PB came up with.

Pool - $50,000
Notched Beam for Waterfalls - $950
Accent Boulders (labor) - $400…. We have plenty of extra moss rock.
Extra sq footage of stamped concrete - $1400

Since we live in the City of Houston and on a lot larger than 15k square feet, we have to have a detention pond. Yes, you read correctly.

By definition, a detention pond detains storm water. Used in industrial and residential areas, it is a basin designed to collect a specific amount of rainfall and floodwater that slowly drains to a planned separate location.

This lovely bureaucratic nonsense adds another $3000 to the total price tag.

I have attached some pre-pool and demo pictures. We saved money by doing the demo ourselves. We had to plan in advance, since heavy trash comes once a month.

The Green has been cut in strips, ready for disposal.

Putting Green is gone.

With the greatly appreciated help from friends and family, we moved 350 + pieces of moss rock and removed the koi pond.

The koi pond was beautiful. It makes me miss the one I had in Kansas City. Your natural design seems like it will fit right into your backyard, which is also gorgeous. Most people probably stop posting after tile because that's typically when the big waiting period starts and they get tired of updating "no progress" -Karen

My dad would cry to see the putting green removed. lol. Your yard is gorgeous. I hope the Koi got a good home. Can't wait to see the progress.

It was definitely hard to make that first cut in the putting green. We definitely had some fun putting contests on it, but it was like a trampoline...fun when its new, but after awhile it just sits there. My golf game will agree.

- - - Updated - - -

The koi pond was beautiful. It makes me miss the one I had in Kansas City. Your natural design seems like it will fit right into your backyard, which is also gorgeous. Most people probably stop posting after tile because that's typically when the big waiting period starts and they get tired of updating "no progress" -Karen

The koi pond was awesome, just a pain to keep up. We miss the waterfall the most. We enjoyed sitting out on the porch in the evening and listening to the sounds. I am sure the pool will replace the sound nicely.

Any idea when your pool will finish? I saw its about 3 months past due?

Looks good -- I don't have a problem disclosing how much my pool cost in a PM. Yours seems a bit on the high end for the size but being comfortable with your PB is important. Does your price include cleanup and/or sprinkler repair? What's up with the disclaimer about underground utilities? Also is your yard fenced in?

Looks good -- I don't have a problem disclosing how much my pool cost in a PM. Yours seems a bit on the high end for the size but being comfortable with your PB is important. Does your price include cleanup and/or sprinkler repair? What's up with the disclaimer about underground utilities? Also is your yard fenced in?

We had them range all the way up into the 60's. The 6 tons of waterfalls and extra stamped concrete for the future patio was a good chunk. The price does include cleanup and grading, I will be doing the sprinkler repair myself.

The underground utilities is not included in the price. If there happens to be sewer, gas or electrical line in the way of the dig, it is my responsibility to pay for the reroute. I am pretty sure it works this way everywhere. Did your PB include it in the price?

Yes we have a 48" fence around the yard.

Now that I look at my contract again, I have the same stipulation there. :) :) I'm sure I knew that in the first place, just forgot about it for some odd reason!

My pool was 45K even; 10K of which was heat pump & waterslide. Sprinkler repair was not included and I ended up getting it done for $100 less than what they would have charged (whoopee).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Double D, thanks for posting! We are in the beginning stages of pool "planning"...that means, I am putting the list together of who to call (and who isn't returning calls!!!), and making those first appointments. We are in Fall Creek in Humble -- so it was nice to see your list. I am hoping that in the near future, I'll be able to start my own thread..."pool build in fall creek".

I'll be following your progress -- keep posting!

Double D, thanks for posting! We are in the beginning stages of pool "planning"...that means, I am putting the list together of who to call (and who isn't returning calls!!!), and making those first appointments. We are in Fall Creek in Humble -- so it was nice to see your list. I am hoping that in the near future, I'll be able to start my own thread..."pool build in fall creek".

I'll be following your progress -- keep posting!

Let me know if you want any insight or details about our experiences. Just PM me.

I dont have much to offer this week. We did get the pool marked and ready for utility marking.

Looks like the start has been pushed back to 11-17. Lets pray this polar vertex pushes through over next weekend and leaves us sunshine filled skies for the week.

Just a quick update... City has done the pre dig / location inspection and we are ready to go. Dig was pushed back one week for circumstances beyond our control. So it should start the Monday of Thanksgiving week.

I am not holding my breath.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.