Possibility of damage to solar panels while at shock level?

mxfan

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 24, 2008
Shingle Springs, CA
I am in the process of shocking my pool due to black algae issues, and am running my filter 24/7. It occurred to me that because we are having hot weather and I am not currently using our solar heating system that maybe I should turn the system on at least to flush it out. Our solar panels are on the roof of my house and it is approx. 80-100 feet run to the house x 2.

Would algae tend to grow in the solar panels/pipes? Could the solar panels be damaged from the high fc level?

Also was wondering when adding bleach to get to shock level where is the ideal place to add it.
In front or in skimmers? spread throughout the pool but not by a skimmer?

With the filter running approx. how long does it take after adding bleach to get an accurate reading to know if you reached proper shock level?

Sorry for adding a bunch of ???'s, just trying to get the proper methods and I couldn't find any info on these particular questions in the forum or pool school.

Thanks for your help/input :-D
...Eric

If you have a vacuum release valve on the panels, the panels will drain when the pump is off.

Also, the panels should be pretty tolerant to high chlorine levels.

I would pour the chlorine in directly to the pool in front of the returns.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.