I've been lurking!!

This is the time I get up for work. Lol It's a little early ! Have to be just over the state line in Maryland. This is the last week for it, thank God !
The test kit is in NC also. You should get it really quick. ?

Cool ! If your first CYA test reads 100, the test only reads to 100, do the dilution test using half tap water and half pool water. Then take whatever reading you get X 2. That will be your CYA level.?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your CYA level isn't as bad as I thought it might be. Still to high for a non SWG pool.
The PH test is going to be due to the high FC levels. It will read a false high with FC levels of 10 or more. That's another reason to lower your CYA level so your FC range is below 10 so you can get an accurate PH test.
How does your water look ?
So are you going to replace some water to lower the CYA level ? ?

That's really the only way. Unless you leave it and it might deplete some over the winter. Do you plan on closing the pool ?
There is another way, that would be bacteria converting the CYA into ammonia. It has happened over the winter and you end up with zero CYA. Then you would have to battle the ammonia which loves to consume bleach and lots of it.
Pool math will tell you how much water needs to be replaced to get to a CYA level of 40-50. ?

Ok. Sounds good.
I forgot to mention if your still SLAMming your shock level FC is 35. Are you still in the SLAM mode ?
One other thing I just thought of. What lighting conditions did you have for the CYA test ? I would try another test outdoors in full sun. What is your water temp ?
A little tired as things are just coming at me now. ?

Did you pass all three criteria to stop the SLAM ?
Crystal clear water.
CC of 0.5 or less.
Pass the OCLT.
What were the lighting conditions for your CYA test ? I would take another test outdoors in the full sun with your back to the sun and test vial at waist height. Just to confirm your results. Also if your water is cold bring sample to room temp for it. You can pour the sample back and redo the test a few times to also confirm the reading. You just want as accurate reading as you can get on it.
Sorry late with that info. ?

It was/is cold. 56 degree water temp. My am pretty sure I passed it all, but I did it with the older kit that we know was fly by night. I'll try it again tomorrow with sun tomorrow. Possibly may not be able to til sunday going to be pretty busy days at work til then. Pretty much going to put in 48 hours next 3 days. Grand opening of my indian showroom is Friday and the building isn't going to be finished until tomorrow evening. Fun stuff

Ok. Treat it as 90 for now until you can do the test again under the lighting conditions I gave you and let the sample come to room temp.
I would also make sure you pass all three criteria using the good test kit. That's important. Very important !! ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support