Intelli Touch Programing ???

MARCO...polo

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 4, 2014
East Contra Costa County CA
Time to step away from the gym wall and onto the dance floor with my first post.

Our pool has been up and running for a couple of months now. Punch list items (most minor a couple major) are fixed, water is balanced (thanks to the advice of the great folks on this forum not my PB), and it's time to take full control of what we have. Until a couple of weeks ago my Pentair VS motor has been pretty much run at one speed; high and costly due to the in-floor cleaning system. Several attempts to change the programming and run times/speeds have resulted in frustration and surrender. My goal is to run the pump at the required speed/time for cleaning and then be able to reduce for chlorine generation, skimming and water turn over. My question is not about hours but about how to program the Intelli Touch to do this. I have been able to program to reduce pump speeds and control start/stop properly BUT when the pump goes to the lower speed the SWG seems to turn off. That is the lights on the SWG go out. So apparently I am not using the right 'function' or 'circuit' when programming and removing power from the SWG. Currently I have programmed the second/slow run phase as a 'FEATURE' using one of the provided circuit names: POOL LOW. Circuit function is set for: GENERIC. I have also tried other combinations without result.

TIA

This probably isn't your issue, but worth keeping in mind that the SWG requires a certain minimum pump speed to work correctly, typically this is around 1000 to 1200 RPM, though it varies from pool to pool.

The SWG will also turn off when the "pump circuit" is off, which can happen even when the pump is running. The "pump circuit" is a logical "circuit" inside the IntelliTouch, separate from the actual pump. In the IntelliTouch each "circuit" has it's own pump speed setting. The highest speed of all the circuits currently turned on is the speed the pump actually runs at. Since you are running the pump using a feature circuit, the pump circuit probably isn't on, thus the SWG turns off.

Thanks for the response Jason. I have to admit that when I first read it I thought it was a bit vague but knew that something was hidden in there. I continued my Google and forum search with different key words and found another 2 year old thread where the question was very similar to mine and your answer included a couple of additional nuggets of info. Most telling was that you needed to get your head around the way Pentair did things. I poked at the remote a while longer and finally gave up for the day. This morning I called Pentair support and after being told pretty much the same thing you did, only different, I GOT IT! A quick test this evening worked perfectly.

The two things that clicked are: It is possible (necessary) to program the pump to do two things at once AND higher rpm trumps lower rpm.

Now it's time to play SWG operation limbo. How (s)low can you go?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.