Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA/pH won't increase

1. Back To Top    #1

TA/pH won't increase

Renting a house with 380 gallon hot tub which was previously maintained by homeowner. Extent of homeowners maintenance consisted of blindly adding bromine tablets and MPS weekly and monthly taking sample to local pool store. Now testing TF 100 and found following parameters:
    1. CH 60
    2. TA 0
    3. pH below 6.8
    4. Br 1

I used pool math and in attempted to raise TA to 50 by adding 4 oz of baking soda. However TA still reads 0.

Should I keep adding baking soda or empty hot tub and refill with fresh water and start from scratch?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: TA/pH won't increase

Welcome to TFP!

Continue adding baking soda, running the jets for a little while after each addition. Use enough to raise TA 50 or 60 each time, run the jets for five minutes and recheck the TA and see where you are.

The water must be very acidic. When the PH is very very low the TA will read zero.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

Welcome to the forum MagicMaker

Do you have any idea of when the last water change was, filter cleaning ?? If it's due anyway now would be the time to dump it and start from scratch.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Orlando, FL

Any time I start to get "sluggish" water it is a sign the tub needs to be drained. I would drain it refill and balance it. One product I know that has eased my bothering over PH and TA is Leisure Time's pH Balance Plus. Once you initially balance the spa, add in the Balance plus and then you should be set until the next refill.

5. Back To Top    #5

Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex, TX

What is "sluggish" water?
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump