Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Excessive Spa Foaming

1. Back To Top    #1

Excessive Spa Foaming

Looking for some help with excessive foam on my hot tub, thanks in advance

Marquis 390 gallon hot tub. Outdoor, new england, always covered except when in use.

We are having excessive foam with air venturis open, no problem when jets on / venturis closed.

tested water, changed water, added CC to get CH up to 150, tested water, complete water change again!

Still foaming, and it never used to foam like this. I suspected a kid foam prank, but with the two water changes and the foam level did not get any better or worse, I can't really figure this one out. I am used to the foam gradually increasing over time due to small amounts of detergent in bathing suits, but this is a large amount of foam, from day 1 of the water change to day 30.

My well has a softener to remove iron and manganese.

I never had to increase the CH of the hot tub in the past to stop foam, but decided to try it this time, to no avail. I added CC to get the CH up to 150 the last two water changes, both which were done in the past month in order to try to stop the foam issue.

Here are the current numbers:

FC 4.0
    CC 0.0
    pH 7.6
    CYA 0-10 - I added 2 tbs of Dichlor so far to this water change, starting 2 days ago. Not much CYA yet.
    TA 70
    CH 150

I normally use Great Value (Walmart) concentrated bleach (around 8.25%) and only need to use some bleach and do a very small amount of pH balancing over the 2-3 months that the water stays in the tub until the next water change. I have not had to add anything else to the tub in 2 years of using this method until the foam showed up 2 months ago. At that point I tried increasing the CH and then changing the water. Still foaming...

Any ideas much appreciated!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    28000 gal inground vinyl installed 7/2013, hayward c5030 525 SF cartridge filter, hayward SP3400VSP variable speed pump, hayward 125000 BTU heat pump, chlorine dispenser

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Excessive Spa Foaming

Someone almost certainly added some soap, or other surfactant, to the tub. Chlorine will break it down, but it may take several days.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Any chance the bleach you picked up at Walmart is "Splash-less" ?? I know you said "concentrated" but they do have a concentrated splash-less and that stuff would cause your porblem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

you know, our spa foams too. We just got it a couple weeks ago. it's not so bad when the pumps are on low but you turn it up and yikes! we're using bromine. My husband tests it and says it's okay. Ofc I have nothing to back that up and show you!
    19k SW IG
    Wet Edge pebble tech = new 5/16 (replaster)
    Hayward variable speed pump (new 6/17) /Shark for cleaning
    New - filled 10/18/14 - TFP 100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thinks kiss4frog. The only bleach at Wally world last few trips was "Easy-pour". It is thicker... Is this the problem?

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

DMS2014, what values does he test and what are the numbers ??

FC
    CC
    pH
    CYA (If outside)
    TA
    CH
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Yep, that's the culprit. On one hand though, that foam looks pretty clean, your pipes will be clean as a whistle for winter. I would suggest you drain it, then refill it and rinse and drain again.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I don't know "Easy-pour" but that sure sounds like "Splash-less" with a new name and YES ...... it does foam. Let me check the Wamart web site.
    Or turn everything on (blower too) and see if you can handle all the foam as it will wear off.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Couldn't find it but it sounds like there is something in there that isn't wanted and it's likely whatever makes it thick also makes it foam in pools and hot tubes. In a washer there isn't as much "mixing" going on as running it through a big pump and out return fittings !!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...t-value-bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Any bleach that is splashless or easy pour will have added surfactants. Surfactants do a great job of increasing the viscosity of a liquid to make it thicker and less likely to splatter and splash. However, these surfactants will also cause lots of foaming. It's a bit like adding both bleach and dishwashing liquid to your pool at the same time with these products. Spa decontamination products such as Ahh-Some contain powerful surfactants to disrupt biofilms and other residues in spa plumbing and can be very useful for decontamination.

The other source of foaming if it's not a splashless bleach related incident can be low CH levels or organics contamination.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Either draining and refilling or running it enough to use up the ingredient causing the foam are your choices.

Have you tried using a regular spa anti-foam agent and if so did it do any good ??

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

In the Industry

The foam away or antifoam will work, but its adding one more thing to the soup. I actually hated it in my spa, the foaming went away but always left something else in the water.

13. Back To Top    #13

That splashless bleach seems to be causing problems everywhere...in pools too. It might warrant its own TFP chapter
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

14. Back To Top    #14

You know, before I became a TFP convert, I used to enjoy a good bubble bath at the end of a long week. Sigh.
    3150 gallon (8'x14'x3.75') vinyl lined Original Endless Pool opened 10/10/2014 - chlorine based with UV sanitizer, 50 SF filter cartridge, AG outdoors with opaque retractable cover, Gecko controller In.ex 4 Kw heater, 88 F, triple insulated; Sundance Altamar 390 gallon spa opened July 2000; chlorine based conversion from Baqua Oct 2014; outdoors, on deck, covered, 98F, no ozonator/sanitizer, 125 SF filter cartridge. FAS-DPD chlorine testing.

15. Back To Top    #15

thanks all. That easy pour bleach was definitely the culprit. 3 water changes and switching back to regular bleach and then 3 weeks of diminishing foam seem to have gotten us back to normal.

Kiss4, the anti foam did absolutely zero good against these bubbles and I agree I don't like adding it if I don't have to. It went out with the last water change.

on the bright side yes the spa is quite clean!

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

You will have to find a new excuse to be groping around now that you can see