Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool closing in Wisconsin

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool closing in Wisconsin

Hello,

I normally had someone come and close the pool, but am ready do it this year. And of course, with that come questions.

Our pool has the big gizmos thing for the skimmer and we plan to use that. The person whom closed for us in the past would always put the empty gallon jug of shock into the skimmer too, and I never understood why. Is that really necessary?

What is the best way to completely drain/empty the lines? How does one go about the bottom drain? Shall all the return valve be in closed position as well?

I am sure there will be other questions, but that's all for now. Thank you so much for the usual help.
    20 x 44 in-ground vinyl
    Hayward Pro-Series High-rate sand filter (S310T)
    Nature2 Zodiac chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: Pool closing in Wisconsin

PB's put an empty antifreeze jug in the mouth of the skimmer as added protection. It acts the same as the Gizmo, if any water gets in there and freezes, the ice can grow inward and crumple the jug, versus growing outwards and breaking the skimmer.

Most will use good shop vac to blow out their lines, once they just see mist, they then pour antifreeze into the lines and one quick blow again to move this antifreeze down the lines. Bottom drain will require more air then most shop vacs can handle, some use compressors and some use Cyclones. The cyclone is made for blowing out lines and for installation of liners. The volume of air it moves is why it can blow a main drain completely free of water. If you can get it to bubble, then you close the ball valve and add a pressure plug to ensure the air doesn't move out of the ball valve. Most ball valve will leak and allow the water you pushed out into pool to come back into the line.

Look up the sticky on here for closing, its bang on for what exactly you should do.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for your reply. I am now draining the pool and will start on the lines soon. I do not remember seeing the closing person putting anti-freeze in the lines, but I guess he did. I cannot understand how to blow the line for the bottom drain. how do I access it? Pardon for my immense ignorance. I just need a visual to understand it all.
    20 x 44 in-ground vinyl

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is a youtube video that sort of gives you an idea. Its not quite exactly what TFP recommends, but it should give you an idea of how to blow out the water from the lines.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VV7_MR4HTo

For visuals, there are several videos on youtube related to the subject.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

thank you so much. I was able to blow all the lines and now have one more question. Do I leave the valve for the bottom drain open or shut?
    20 x 44 in-ground vinyl

6. Back To Top    #6

if you can blow the water from the drain, then close the valve. It should create a vacuum that water cannot enter back in to.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!