How many hours to run filter in summer?

drewh

Oct 19, 2014
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Hi all,

I have a 9200 gal / 35000L pool and a 24" Hayward sand filter. It's flow rate is 235LPM, ie every 2.5 hours the whole body of water is filtered once.

How many hours should I run it in summer at a minimum? I do remember reading somewhere the water should be filtered twice daily at least, ie 5 hours run time, would this be correct?

Also a Pool School article mentioned running the pump during the hottest part of the day. Currently I run it 3 hours from 9-12am and then 3 hours from 9.30pm-12.30am. Would it be more efficient to run it continuously from 9am for the required hours?

Thanks heaps.

First, are you sure you actually get that flow rate? Is that from a flow meter or a pump spec? Although that does not matter. Read the article in the How To section of Pool School about determining your pump run time.

Usually it is better from a skimming standpoint top spilt up the run time.

Thanks jblizzle (you're a machine!), I had skimmed that article but have since read it again, very helpful.

Just one question, as you mention splitting is better re skimming properties, would I be best off running these two periods during the hottest part of the day? (obv with a break in between) vs my current day and night run time scenario.

First, are you sure you actually get that flow rate? Is that from a flow meter or a pump spec? Although that does not matter. Read the article in the How To section of Pool School about determining your pump run time.

Usually it is better from a skimming standpoint top spilt up the run time.

It's just from the pump spec on it - as you say I'm sure that's probably a maximum. I haven't actually measured it, more mentioned to illustrate the current situation.

It really does not make a whole lot of difference when you run the pump as long as you maintain adequate chlorine. If power is cheaper at night, then you could run all at night.

It really does not make a whole lot of difference when you run the pump as long as you maintain adequate chlorine. If power is cheaper at night, then you could run all at night.

Ok thanks jblizzle. I didn't mention it earlier but you might remember in another post I highlighted the algae problem I was having (waiting on the TF-100 test kit to Australia). So my question re times during the day was related to whether running during the day might fight algae more as I'd imagine it grows fastest during the day in sun. I should have mentioned that!

Oh is it? I will switch to running it as long as I can (that power tariff cuts off for four hours daily). Really I'm waiting for the test kit before comprehensively attacking it via a SLAM, but for now keep brushing the pool daily and am trying different tips from that post. Thanks Tepelus!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.