Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover - Foam board question

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Cover - Foam board question

I ordered a "Magni-clear" solar cover to replace a 2 year old cover I have. Seems to get good reviews. It's heavier than most (14 gauge), and I know many here say buy cheap and light because none last... but my pool is mostly shaded and will be cutting into 3 smaller sections due to odd shape. Onto my question:

I was thinking of using a foam board, say 12" strips, on one edge of each of my sections. This would make it easy to "fold up" from one side of the pool. Thinking about THIS stuff. I'd bond the solar cover on top of the 12" strip. Will this hold up to 5% chlorine? (need chemical geek here). This also eliminates some corner radius issues, this can be cut-to-fit. Clear silicone to bond? I know there's also the pink foam board, maybe has better properties, but I don't want pink.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Cover - Foam board question

Interesting observation, just got my Magni-clear cover in. For some reason I was thinking "14 gauge" would be 14 mil thick... it's only 5 mil. So I went out and measured the 12 gauge I bought 2 years ago, it's only 3.5 mil. I guess actual 14 mil would be REALLY heavy. Probably going to wait until spring to put the new cover on, old one is in good enough condition for the winter. Have plentty to think about until the weather warms up. Just ordered a Stenner pump, and will be ordering a heat pump very soon. Waiting for the "best winter price".
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

3. Back To Top    #3

Let us know how the foam board works if you end up doing it! I kinda suspect it will crumble in the sun. And not much sticks to solar cover (polyethylene?). I tried a bunch of different things to attach two pieces together when I bought a too-short cover a few years back. Never tried silicone, but nothing else worked.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you sure you are measuring your cover correctly? When I measured my covers, they are/were always pretty close (+- 1 mil) to the advertised size.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I measured the space between the bubbles (the raw stock). I am assuming a "mil" is .001". Measured slightly more than a piece of paper I just measured. I'm getting almost .014" if I measure a popped bubble (2 layers).

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Are you sure you are measuring your cover correctly? When I measured my covers, they are/were always pretty close (+- 1 mil) to the advertised size.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

6. Back To Top    #6

There should be two layers between the bubble too. I usually measure along the seemed edge which include the two layers.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

I would have thought there would be 2 layers between bubbles, but maybe it gets compressed in the manufacturing process. A seam in theory would be 4 layers. So the 14 mill is really two 7 mill layers. In that case I think mine is OK (it does feel heavier).
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by tcat View Post
    A seam in theory would be 4 layers.
    By seam, I meant the edge of the cover not the area where two sections overlap.
    Mark