Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Multiport Valve -- Handle Won't Turn

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Multiport Valve -- Handle Won't Turn

Brand Newbie here. Starting to try and do things myself here, and hopefully displace my monthly service.

Just got an email from my company, that the "handle on the filter the broken and must be replaced" with a quote for $350. Doing a little digging here it seems likely that I can either just replace the handle, or the Top assembly, without replacing the filter. The top assembly seems like it would be pretty simple (after powering down pump, of course) -- just remove the screws, take off the assembly and replace? Should I try taking it off first before getting the part and seeing if there is some debris or something blocking?

Also, if I need to replace the assembly, any advice on where to order from (Leslie's seems to be double what I see what I think is the right part), and do I need to be doing something (other than reading the part number off of the attached pic) to ensure I get the right part?

Appreciate the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jon777; 12-08-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: removed image

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pentair Multiport Valve -- Handle Won't Turn

Welcome to the forum.

Disassemble the multiport by removing the screws and inspect the "innards" It is a pretty simple device and any issues will probably be obvious. Most common problem seem to be the "spider gasket" or "wagon wheel" gasket that you will find on the inside. Let us know what you find.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hmmm.... Pool company was here yesterday for normal cleaning. Not sure if they did something or not, but was able to get the latch up and turning. It's a little cranky, but everything seems ok now.

Thanks for the advice... Will start with the basics in Pool School, as I need to learn how to do some things myself!

Next project probably will be around DE filter cleaning / maintenance... I see there is some good step by step instructions on that!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Mine was getting really stiff to turn. My valve is outside and exposed and likely over the years dirt and "stuff" slipped in under the handle and started to cause to shaft to be really stiff. I took it apart, cleaned it, used a little silicone plumbing lube on the shafts "O" ring and it turns easier than I've ever know it too, like new !!
    The white plastic washer (in the video) finally broke into pieces which is why I tore mine down.

How to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVr5d_mpKAI
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Re. ordering parts - you might try your local Pinch-A-Penny instead of Leslie's. It's a Florida-based franchise outfit. My father-in-law swore by his local store in Weeki Wachee.

I order most parts online, though. Once you know what you need, just Google for it and you'll see lots of places to buy it.

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks CUTiger. We do have a local Pinch-a-Penny here, so will check them out. Not sure if there were better/worse places for parts, and ensuring you are getting an OEM part -- am new to this, so am assuming like most things these days, there are OEM replacements, and knock offs?

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

In the Industry

No question online will be cheaper, online tends to run around 10 - 20 margin, pool stores routinely run 50% margin or more.

8. Back To Top    #8

I haven't had any problems with counterfeit parts, so I haven't been too wary of purchasing knock-offs.

BTW, are you a Boeing pilot?
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by CUTiger78 View Post

BTW, are you a Boeing pilot?
    LOL, no. Just the user name I happened to pick something like 15+ years ago, when I set up a first email account. Haven't changed it since.