Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing tomorrow but going to get to 29 degrees tonight...

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing tomorrow but going to get to 29 degrees tonight...

Hey all,

Thought this was probably not a big deal, but wanted to be sure. We will be closing tomorrow around 10:00ish. Weather report says from 3:00am to 10:00am tomorrow temps will be 32 or below with the min temp 29 degrees. It has been in the 70s the last few days here in Oklahoma city with the temp in the 90s last weekend. The water temp is 60 degrees. I assume that if my pump is running this will not be an issue for my pool heater, but, do you think I need to do somethign to protect the heater? I was not planning on turning it on, with the water running and the water temp so high and how long it takes for water to change temp I thought this would not be a big deal.

Thanks,
    Owner since August 2014. 21,500G Liner In ground Pool with attached 600G plaster in ground hottub. TF-100 Test Kit, Filter: Pentair TA60D Clearpro Sand (HTH) Filter. Pool: 1 Drain, 2 Skimmers 4 Returns. Hot Tub: 1 drain, 1 skimmer, 2 returns. Hot Tub/Pool run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas Single Speed 1.5hp P2RA5F-182L pump with Emerson K63CXESE4972 motor. Spa jets run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas H/L model number unknown.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: Closing tomorrow but going to get to 29 degrees tonight...

It shouldn't freeze that quick, but if you are concerned it would be recommended to leave it on, just set it at a really low temp. Water flowing through it will ensure no freeze up.

3. Back To Top    #3

I think it always flows through it, there is no way to divert it. Its just a matter of it heating or not.
    Owner since August 2014. 21,500G Liner In ground Pool with attached 600G plaster in ground hottub. TF-100 Test Kit, Filter: Pentair TA60D Clearpro Sand (HTH) Filter. Pool: 1 Drain, 2 Skimmers 4 Returns. Hot Tub: 1 drain, 1 skimmer, 2 returns. Hot Tub/Pool run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas Single Speed 1.5hp P2RA5F-182L pump with Emerson K63CXESE4972 motor. Spa jets run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas H/L model number unknown.

4. Back To Top    #4

Running water like that wont freeze, even at temps lower than 29. Just leave the pump on and dont worry. No need to even run the heater, just a waste of gas. It'll be fine.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Weather report says from 3:00am to 10:00am tomorrow temps will be 32 or below with the min temp 29 degrees.
    It is unlikely anything will freeze at 29F for that short period of time. In the winter, we get down to 25F for close to 8 hours and the pipes/equipment still do not freeze even without the pump running.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have a slide, you may want to trickle the water as those pipes are usually exposed.

7. Back To Top    #7

It was all good. Pool is closed. Thanks for the tips