Survey: Air Compressor vs. Shop Vac

DOMO

Bronze Supporter
Mar 13, 2013
Rowley, MA
Hi all, Thought it would be fun to put a survey out there to debate which is better for blowing out lines; and air compressor or a shop vac?

I recently used both during my closing, and was surprised that the shop vac did better than the compressor for much of the process, especially in blowing the return lines wet. I was using a 150psi compressor with rubber expansion plugs with schrader valves. The shop vac was 4hp, and did not have any type of air tight seal where I connected it (like the compressor did with the expansion plugs).

The polls are now open.....

Hi. Thanks for some of the initial replies! I blow my return lines (2 lines, 6 returns total) wet, from the equipment pad and was very surprised how much more air movement I was getting with the shop vac. The water was bubbling up over the deck/coping. I have to use the compressor for my MDX floor drain and SDX sidewall drain, as I need to blow wet from the deck canister with schrader plugs and space is tight in the canister. Also, I used both to blow out all the lines at the equipment pad (ie heater, etc) and again was surprised at the shop vac vs the compressor.

Cyclone for me. I used to use a compressor but now HUGE volume and great pressure for as long as I need it, all at the flick of a switch. Main drain bubble stream was so much bigger compared to my old compressor. The Cyclone also worked great blowing out my solar panels.

Shop vac. And you have to find the right one. I do not have bottom drains so that makes my decision easier. If I had floor drains and a deep end I would go with a cyclone. It is $300 and it is worth having the insurance and sleepability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.