1st timer / self-closing questions

Jun 13, 2014
Callands, VA
Closing our pool ourselves for first time. All is well except for two questions.
1) Is it recommended to disconnect the SWCG cell and take inside for winter?
2) Is an air-lock on main drain dependable to keep water out of that pipe? My pump is well below (around 18") full-pool water level so the pool "pushes" water towards the pump. I blew out the lines last night, and capped them in the following order: Skimmer (using gizmo w/ Teflon tape), return closest to pump, additional return, and finally the fountain return. I then turned the 3-way valve to close off the skimmer and fully open the main drain. Once the drains had bubbled for 30-45 seconds, I turned the three way valve to close the main drain line and fully open the skimmer. I understand this "locks" air in the line and prevents water from creeping back in. My question is will this hold for 5 months or will the air slowly bleed by the 3-way valve and let water back in that line?
Being in Virginia, we are susceptible to hard freezes from December - February. I don't want to take a chance on bursting the pipe. The other option is to open the drain valve and let the pool drain down several more inches. I was trying to prevent losing all that additional water which would have to be refilled in the spring via our well.
I appreciate your thoughts/feedback.

I used a similar process blowing out my skimmer and main drain except I blew the main drain first. I noticed while the main drain was bubbling, a few small bubbles appeared in the skimmer basket even though I had the 3-way valve shut off to the skimmer. This tells me that my valve is not "air tight" and water will likely seep back into the main drain line.

Unlike your equipment, my pad is higher than my pool so I'm not too concerned. The water that seeps back into the line for my main drain should remain below the frost line. I would be looking for another way to air lock the line if my pad was lower than the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.