Ring around the pool

amjohn

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2008
Rural NE Texas
We had a hard rain the other night, first in months. It brought the pool level up three inches. I used a garden hose to siphon off the excess water, started the pump, added chlorine, and have been watching for algae, but seems to be okay. However, the rain did leave a narrow greasy black ring at its top level around the sides of the pool and the inside of the skimmer basket. The ground here is black clay, and it has not rained in a long time, so the greasy black seems to be just a collection of dirt, pollen, etc that had been suspended in the air for the last couple months. I want to clean it before it stains the liner. What do you suggest? I was thinking a baking soda and water paste or a borax and water paste, rubbed with a soft cloth. I am able to remove it partly with just water, but not enough to completely remove the discoloration.
Extra info: I tried a spot with borax and water, still have the black ring, just not greasy now. The stain may already have set, so any thoughts on how to remove it? The black clay here stains badly (floors, clothes, walls, etc) and usually requires pretty heavy duty cleaners to remove.

You can use the baking soda and water paste or a Mr. Clean Eraser. I haven't use the baking soda paste, but it was suggested by a reputable person, so I am sure it works. I have used the Mr. Clean Eraser and had good results with it.

I buy them at Leslies, the come two to a pack.
They look like a large tennnis ball, but softer.
I drop one in the skimmer and as the water filters through
it rolls around the skimmer and collects the oils and grime tunig it from white
to grey / black

jb

Well, I tried borax and water paste, baking soda and water paste with microfiber cloth, pool brush, and a mr. clean magic eraser. The greasy is gone, and the stain is mostly gone, but there is still some "ring around the pool". I have a plain light blue liner. I realize staining is a part of life with AGP, and that it is going to happen, but it sure is annoying to have a stain around the edges on a 1 week old pool. Plus, it keeps raining, raining, raining, which means it keeps staining. Not on the bottom, just around the side where the rain water meets the pool water, thus the ring around the pool. Anyone got any other suggestions? BTW, the magic eraser is great for all kinds of pool related clean up, including the scum line in the skimmer, and has worked the best of anything, but still not completely removed the stain.

Try Natural Chemistry's "Clean and Perfect" enzime cleaner in conjunction with the magic eraser.
That will removed the rest of the staining. It has worked excellant for me. I use it once a month
to clean the grease ring off the liner, stairs and skimmer.

jb :monkey:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.