Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fiber optic light leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Charleston SC

Fiber optic light leak

I've been dealing with an annoying leak lately and the ink test confirmed that the leak was around the lens for the fiber optic light. I am trying to take it apart to find the worn / damaged gasket / oring. I drained the water to below the light and fabricated a tool to unscrew the "lens nut" which looks just like the pentair 22100100 nut found here The plastic lens nut is cracked in one part but I don't think that's causing any leakage, I'm looking for a gasket or oring and do not see one in there. This diagram shows that if I unscrew the lens there will be an oring in there. I cannot figure out how to unscrew the lens and it doesn't budge with my fingers (it is recessed in the housing). Is there an easy way to do this?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Fiber optic light leak

If there are no cracks in the housing then it's most likely leaking behind the spacer with O-ring in the diagram linked. The first thing I'd do is replace the lens retaining nut and see if it'll tighten it enough to stop the leak. If that doesn't work you'll need to get enough slack in the fiber bundle and pull the light assembly out of the housing and replace the O-rings. If you're adventurous, you may want to pull the lens out and unscrew it and dry it out a little anyway.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Fiber optic light leak

I would replace them with LED products from Jandy, Savi, or hayward. You will like the much higer light output
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool