Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAMed, stayed on it, pH rises quickly and now it's cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAMed, stayed on it, pH rises quickly and now it's cloudy

Quick summary:
    Just started TFPC on Oct 4. SLAMed for a week or so-- pool was greenish when we began--- pool was looking sparkling by Oct 10 and down to 0 CC by Oct 20, good levels, etc.

Well, now it is Oct 30.

Yesterday we noticed a faint cloudiness-- stll can see to the bottom easily, but just not "sparkling". Husband scrubbed the whole pool we were within normal FC.

Today there is a small yellow patch, maybe the size of a dnner plate. So-- mustard algae is back? We scrubbed 2x a day-- extra on the ladder, light, and drain. Could this be because our bottom drain is stupidly plumbed and doesnt work, so it's staying in there where we can't get to it? If so-- why did it stay sparkling for weeks?

Also-- is pH supposed to rise quickly? Nothing went into the pool the last 5 days and yet the pH was 7.2 on Oct 24, 7.4 on Oct 26, 7.8 on Oct. 30.
    We filled it 1 inch with hose water Oct 25. Hose water does have high ph-- 8.0, but still it was just an inch.

Now:
    ph= 7.8
    FC= 5
    CC= .2
    Alk= 75
    Calc= 190
    CYA- 70 (bringing down slowly

I'm going to start SLAMing now, but I am confused by the pH--- oh--- and my FC was 6 on Oct 24 and it's still at 5 almost a week later???
    And why is this mustard algae back again? We were so vigilant and followed every rule of SLAMing!

It's 75 degrees here. (60s at night)

Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: SLAMed, stayed on it, pH rises quickly and now it's cloudy

If you completely cleared up the black algae I would be surprised. The mere fact your pool went cloudy again so fast, tells me it wasn't all gone. Its possible you have not a lot of flow in that area of the pool, are your eyeballs on the returns pointed correctly? Do you have details of how you went about SLAMing? Also, the CYA level now dictates your goal for Chlorine should be 8, if CYA was higher then that Chlorine # only rises. I use the 7-11-40 rule, 7% of CYA is the absolute minimum chlorine you should have in your pool, 11% is the target and 40% is the shock level. Addition of liquid bleach will cause a false rise in ph, but this will come back down once that bleach is used up in battling whatever is in your pool.

Can you give details of how you slammed it?

3. Back To Top    #3

Does the Taylor kit test CC's in .1 increments? I'm thinking that # of .2 might be wrong if you have something in the pool that needs to be SLAMed.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by zethacat View Post
    Does the Taylor kit test CC's in .1 increments? I'm thinking that # of .2 might be wrong if you have something in the pool that needs to be SLAMed.
    CC do not necessary show up even though you have algae ... it is just one possible sign of a problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Also-- is pH supposed to rise quickly? Nothing went into the pool the last 5 days and yet the pH was 7.2 on Oct 24, 7.4 on Oct 26, 7.8 on Oct. 30.
    We filled it 1 inch with hose water Oct 25. Hose water does have high ph-- 8.0, but still it was just an inch.
    waterfals, returns disturbing the water surface or kids splashing around in the pool can cause pH rise. Any sources of areation like this?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Nope-- none. Water is too cold to swim and there are no waterfalls-- pool is even fenced in, nothing really gets in except pine needles!

It was mustard algae. I don't know... we passed the overnight test 3x in a row-- I followed SLAMing to a tee on here and was posting here regularly and got help.

Pool was crystal clear from Oct 11- Oct 29.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Are there pucks in the pool? Where is your chlorination coming from? Your pool went cloudy because your chlorine requirements based on your CYA were not met.

8. Back To Top    #8

Did you pass all there criteria to stop the SLAM ? You stated crystal clear water and no CC's. Did you pass the OCLT ? 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yep-- I put above I passed the OCLT many nights ina row.

No tablets. Just 10.5% chlorine and muriatic acid is all that's gone in the last 26 days.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

In the Industry

How much and when?

That chlorine will cause a false rise in Ph.

What us your FC reading now, as well as your CYA.