Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: powdered CYA in the inline chlorinator ?

1. Back To Top    #1

powdered CYA in the inline chlorinator ?

Can I put powdered CYA in the inline chlorinator (I use a stenner pump & liquid chlorine) instead of using the sock method ?
    23k gunite, Stonescapes Mini Aqua Blue w/seashell, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, 2 Pentair Intelli-Flo VS pumps, Pentair Mastertemp 400, Pentair EasyTouch 8+wireless controller, Silencer spa blower, 3 Intellibrite LEDs, Pentair Racer cleaner, Pentair 320 chlorinator
    my build http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-north-Houston

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: powdered CYA in the inline chlorinator ?

I think it would take forever to dissolve, the sock method is the ideal way.

3. Back To Top    #3

Adding CYA using an inline chlorinator is dangerous, there is a small explosion risk and the chlorinator will likely become clogged. I also recommend the sock method.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

alright , I'll stick with the sock method then
    23k gunite, Stonescapes Mini Aqua Blue w/seashell, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, 2 Pentair Intelli-Flo VS pumps, Pentair Mastertemp 400, Pentair EasyTouch 8+wireless controller, Silencer spa blower, 3 Intellibrite LEDs, Pentair Racer cleaner, Pentair 320 chlorinator
    my build http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-north-Houston

5. Back To Top    #5
    Clermont, Florida (that's near Disney World)

I added CYA using the sock method. Had 2 tube socks tied together and hung them over 2 noodles. In the first 24 hours, had very little dissolving going on. Then I took the socks and started massaging them in the skimmer, could see the powder working its way out. Thought to myself, "hmmmmm.... I need to fill the pool some anyway, why not run the hose into the sock for a while. This seemed to work nicely, then I stuck the one sock inside the other so that the water was flowing through both the socks. In an hour, almost all the CYA was flushed out of the socks.
    Pool-DissolvingCYA.jpg
    1) 21,000 gallons
    2) DE
    3) IG (in ground)
    4) Vinyl
    5) Hayward 1.5 hp DE 3600 72 GPM

Taylor K-2006
    STA-RITE Great White GW9500

6. Back To Top    #6

The two times I have added CYA I filled and tied the tube socks and just threw them in the deep end and used my brush pole to situate them directly over the main drain. They were empty within 2 hours both times I did this.
    16'x35' Gunite/Marsite Kidney shaped 12500 Gal,Old (read Original) Sta-Rite TXC-75 75sqft Cartridge (Now a Single cartridge replacement, used to be two separate carts one 50sqft and one 25sqft stacked), Built with the house in 1989

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by RickyTidwellsMom View Post
    The two times I have added CYA I filled and tied the tube socks and just threw them in the deep end and used my brush pole to situate them directly over the main drain. They were empty within 2 hours both times I did this.
    I don't think I am a fan of this idea ... higher risk of damaging the pool surface if not completely on the drain or if flow is insufficient.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I use an old T-shirt in the skimmer. This works well though a sock could be used instead. The flow through the skimmer accelerates the dissolving. Just make sure that there are other ways for flow to occur to the pump in case the skimmer gets clogged. In my case, the skimmer has a second input from the pool, a pipe hole below the skimmer (I think it's called an equalizer) and I also have main drains so there is no risk of damage from clogging the skimmer.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I don't think I am a fan of this idea ... higher risk of damaging the pool surface if not completely on the drain or if flow is insufficient.
    Is CYA damaging to the pool surface if left on it? I always make sure the flow is 100% through the main drain when doing so and again, all of the CYA was gone from the sock within 2 hours.
    16'x35' Gunite/Marsite Kidney shaped 12500 Gal,Old (read Original) Sta-Rite TXC-75 75sqft Cartridge (Now a Single cartridge replacement, used to be two separate carts one 50sqft and one 25sqft stacked), Built with the house in 1989

10. Back To Top    #10

CYA is an acid after all and yes it can damage the pool surface if it sits for long.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!