Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I even backwash my filter?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Wentzville, MO

Can I even backwash my filter?

Hey guys,

I did a search and tried to find an answer but it seems my plumbing may not be setup to even do a backwash?

I have 2 inlet lines like normal going into a Tee and then the pump. Then one out of the pump to a valve that allows me to turn it to the drain hose. That goes directly to the filter housing, then out the other side to the chlorinator, then out to the two returns.

I keep reading about another "backwash" valve, but I don't have anything else? Do some setups not allow this?

Just making sure.

In ground (installed 2000), fiberglass, cartridge filter, Pentair Super Flo Single speed pump (2014).

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Can I even backwash my filter?

Cartridge filters don't get backwashed. Instead you remove the cartridge and hose it down. Thus, no backwash valve.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

New Brunswick Canada

Just an aside, but its useful for cartridge pools to have a 3 way valve plumbed between the pump and the cartridge. This way one can vacuum to waste and not foul up their cartridge.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Labelle, TX

That's what I did. I have a perflex "bump" DE filter. I added a no lube 3 way so I can vac and pump to waste.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a cartridge filter with a discharge valve between the pump and filter. I also have a valve just before the filter on the pump side. I can open the discharge valve and close the filter valve allowing water to be pumped to waste. This is handy when the pool is too full from a recent rain or when pumping antifreeze out of the suction lines when opening the pool.

20 x 44.5 single roman end, ~33,000 gallons, 10 feet deep, garrett vinyl liner, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Hayward 2 HP Pump, Cirrcupool RJ60 SWG, Hayward 140k BTU Heater, Polaris 380 with Booster Pump
    20x44.5 (3.5 feet SE, 10 feet DE), IG, Vinyl, Hayward Cartridge (C4030), 2HP Hayward Super Pump (SP2615X20), 2 main drains, 5 returns, Hayward ColorLogic 4.0, Circu Pool RJ60 SWG, Hayward Heat Pro 140K BTU, Polaris 380, Polaris Booster Pump (PB4-60),