Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Decking around pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Decking around pool

Hello,
    My original plan for our pool was to have concrete decking around the pool. I am going for the clean lines and modern look and feel. I have seen some pictures of very nice looking pools with just plain grey concrete deck. I am aware that concrete can be slippery so I would likely put a medium brush finish on the concrete. So I engaged four pool builders, three of the pool builders are on board with the concrete decking and one pool builder said he recommends against concrete decking because it will not hold up over time the way I expect or want it to. He says it will crack, fade, stain, etc. He said the pool chemicals are harsh and will ruin the concrete over time. He is recommending Artistic Pavers instead. He did say if I absolutely had to have the concrete deck, he would build it that way, but he says over time I will not be happy with the way it looks and it will not hold up.

So my questions are as follows:
    1. What are your thoughts with regard to concrete decking's longevity near a pool? Is that one pool builder correct and he is looking out for my best interests?
    2. Will Artistic Pavers give me the clean line and modern look that I am looking for? Pavers are not at all what I had envisioned for my pool because to me pavers give an "old world" look.
    3. Does anyone have pool decking made with the "Silver Sam" colored Artistic Paver and are you willing to post a pic?

Thanks....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Decking around pool

Well, one thing to point out is that the pavers are made of ..... concrete So chemically they can be affected just like a concrete deck will be.

Sure pavers will not possibly crack, but they can have their own problems like settling.

If the concrete is done with proper expansion joints, cracking should be predicable and hidden in the joints. There are 100,000s of pools with concrete decks. Mine is about 40 years old. There are a few small cracks coming through the Kool deck, but nothing is crumbling apart.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

To add to what Jason said, concrete generally lasts a very long time. The appearance of concrete can vary quite a bit depending on how, or if, you treat the surface. Stamped concrete can look amazing, very different from brushed concrete (which is what most people think of when they think of concrete).

Artistic Pavers are quite nice, with a wide variety of looks depending on the style, color(s) used, and the setting pattern. It is possible for them to look modern, or old world, or any of several other things, depending on what choices you make.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

How would you recommend treating the concrete so that it will last and look good. I am not interested in stamped concrete or kool deck because they do not have the modern look that I am going for. Thanks again!

5. Back To Top    #5

We have simple brushed concrete deck around the pool - never treated, not kool deck, not stamped or anything. It's almost 40 years old and no cracking, fading or staining.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    22,000 gallon, 20x40 kidney-shape IG plaster pool built in 1986
    Nautilus NS-36 DE filter, Hayward Self Prime Super Pump 1HP
    Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaner, PB4-60 3/4 HP pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Can you post an example of a modern look that you like?
    20x44 IG vinyl. Intelliflo, Pentair Cartridge Filter (420ft^2), Raypac 336K, Kreepy Krauly

7. Back To Top    #7

jmhjgh,
    I am not sure how to post a picture. But if you click on this link, I like the concrete on this pool deck.

http://www.houzz.com/projects/307079...-modern-update

8. Back To Top    #8

I just realized that the link above does not work. Here is the correct link: http://www.houzz.com/projects/307079...-modern-update

This is the concrete deck look I am trying to achieve.

Thanks again

9. Back To Top    #9

You will have a difficult time getting that look with pavers. Maybe with travertine or some other large stone. But it will be very expensive.

Properly installed concrete decks have very long lifetimes. Scroll through many threads on here. Sure all concrete cracks but you can if you wish install use additives and use control joints that will give you extremely long lifetimes. Proper base preparation is critical as is making sure the concrete is not undermined by tree roots or water subsistence.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall