Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intellichlor dummy cell

1. Back To Top    #1

Intellichlor dummy cell

The pentair manual says to use a dummy cell for the ic40 during start up after fresh plaster.
    Has anyone here used this at start up? Is it needed?
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intellichlor dummy cell

I am not sure why you would need a dummy cell. You can not add salt or turn on the SWG for 30 days, so I would think the risk of scaling is low. Maybe the concern is if you are running an acid start-up with a low pH?

You could always just not plumb the cell in at all and then after start-up cut out the pipe and install the unions and cell.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The cell has already been installed.
    I think the reasoning is to keep it from possible debris caused from fresh plaster start up.
    It won't actually get turned on for 30 days after water goes in.
    From pentair- After new pool construction has been completed, in order to prevent debris from entering the IntelliChlor cell assembly, it is recommended that the IntelliChlor pass-through cell (P/N 520588) be installed before installing the IntelliChlor cell. After the pool system has flushed the debris from the pipes, remove the pass-through cell and install the IntelliChlor cell.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would think that if the SWG is installed after the filter the risk from debris would be very small. However if it's before the filter the risk might be high.

You could replace the SWG with a length of pipe that has uniion fittings glued on at each end.
    Cheers, Peter
    20,000 gal, 52'x17' kidney shaped IG, Pebble Tec, IntelliPro P6E6VS4H-209L pump. Intellichlor IC40 SWG.
    300 sf Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter. Poolvergnuegen 4-wheel suction pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

In the Industry

We used to plumb in fake fittings for SWG, in case the cell needed to be cleaned, the owner could still run their pump. Now I think its a non issue. Cleaning doesn't take the length of time that a pool store quotes lol.

As PRS said, if its plumbed after the cartridge/filter, I cant see anything being an issue. I can only assume SWG Manufacturers recommend this as a safety net in case someone inadvertently turns on the SWG before the 30 days.

My experience says that cells have issues with Ch.