Removing Return eyeballs on a liner pool

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
All,

Probably being overly cautious by posting this I am sure, but I have a team of friends coming to help me close this weekend and I just want to make sure that I have everthing ready to roll. I have never done this before... I have an inground liner pool and the returns are probably typical, they look like the one in the bottom left and right of the picture at the link.

http://www.inyopools.com/images/inground_pools_skimmers.gif

So I tried to unscrew the thing on the right from the thing on the left with my hand and it would not budge. Which got me to thinking, could it be possible that i actually have to remove the 4 screws to get it off or should I just go get some channel locks and get it off that way?

Its probably obvious that I need to get the channel locks, but as I have not done this before I did not want to break something, so I wanted to ask some of the other liner owners that have returns like these to give me a hand.

Thanks

Don't take the screws off. It should unscrew, may take some extra help from some channel locks

There is a removal tool, but you can also cut down an old putty knife to fit exactly inside. When replacing them next year, a lil tape will ensure their easy removal next fall.

Thanks both... So the special tool, what does that look like is that for the outside where I am talking about the channel locks or is that something for the inside after I get the eyeball off?

From the picture it looks like the eyeball piece threads into the piece on the left. Is it really three pieces? The piece on the left, some double sided thread piece that goes in to the left piece that needs a special tool, and then the eyeball piece threading into the intermediate piece?

Thanks, ultimatly sounds like I just need to take it apart and see whats going on, just dont want to damage it with channel locks.

They are indeed three pieces, eyeball, socket (which yours is stuck) and the cover. If you use channel locks, I am sure you will ruin the threads. If you notice, inside the socket there are two distinct cuts on each side. That is where you can slide a tool in, or a reworked putty knife.

I am brutal at posting pics, but Google Hayward Return Removal Tool SP1419T. If yours isn't Hayward then this tool might or might not fit, I believe it will.

They are indeed three pieces, eyeball, socket (which yours is stuck) and the cover. If you use channel locks, I am sure you will ruin the threads. If you notice, inside the socket there are two distinct cuts on each side. That is where you can slide a tool in, or a reworked putty knife.

I am brutal at posting pics, but Google Hayward Return Removal Tool SP1419T. If yours isn't Hayward then this tool might or might not fit, I believe it will.

Ok, thanks, saw the tool, how will I get this part off with that tool if the eyeball is in the way?
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...gPDO4n8vowNPse6LF9Rpg4BidDqPTXLgLqSO5qgCLywAh

I have a plastic 1 1/2" putty knife that fits right in there and removes the 3rd piece. The trim ring unscrews and there is the eyeball part and then the "base"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Channel Locks. Just make sure that you are turning the right way and don't hit the liner. My wife was on the pool deck and thought she was loosening, but was up side down and therefore tightening. If you do not want to use metal channel locks then you can pick up a strap wrench at a home improvement store. If neither of those work, use a hack saw blade vertically. Just the blade not the whole saw. Cut thru the trim ring and take a small section out, break the rest apart. Replace the entire assembly for $5. Takes a bit of nerve to cut that close to your liner, but that is what we had to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you use a putty knife, the whole thing will come out. No way I would hack away at anything near a vinyl liner.

How would you take off a trim ring with a putty knife?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, thats the question, its the trim ring that is stuck, how do I get the trim ring off?

Sounds like the whole thing is seized together. If you're lucky, the whole thing will unscrew, and not just the trim ring. That way you can replace the whole thing instead of having to fight with the inner fitting after you get done fighting with the trim ring.

Be careful with the channel locks if you are taking out the socket piece. My closing guys did this to one of my returns that was stuck and they bit into the threads and being older plastic the threads crumbled away pretty easy. I would think a "professional" would have the right tool or at least a rubber strap wrench that goes around the outside.

I was surprised one was stuck as I don't use tape and I don't screw them in tight. My "eyeballs" don't adjust very easily so I leave the whole thing loose in the wall fitting and when I want to change from skimming to mixing I just rotate the whole assembly. I haven't had any problems with that arrangement, haven't had one come loose and fall in :eek:

Attachments

• Eyeball fitting exploded view.jpg
    Eyeball fitting exploded view.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 83
Trim ring and everything will come out if you use a modified putty knife on the inside cut outs on the socket. Once removed, you can then work away the trim ring with no worry of damaging a liner. You can also whiten them by using a Vit C tab or two in a cup of water. The PVC almost glues itself together. I believe that is metals or something else causing it.

Trim ring and everything will come out if you use a modified putty knife on the inside cut outs on the socket. Once removed, you can then work away the trim ring with no worry of damaging a liner. You can also whiten them by using a Vit C tab or two in a cup of water. The PVC almost glues itself together. I believe that is metals or something else causing it.

My socket is behind the eyeball and trim ring. No way to reach the cutouts on mine without taking the trim ring and eyeball out first. Mine aren't frozen though. Mine may have smaller holes in the eyeballs. Are you talking about the bigger ones? I assume you mean you can reach the back socket through the eyeball? Never thought of that.

Sorry, my bad, I wasn't going out to the shop to see what you meant, ok, you have to remove the retaining ring before you can use the putty knife to get the socket out. First use a rubber filter wrench, failing that to work, you will have to use channel locks, it will come off, even if you ruin it, its not a big purchase come spring time. Once that is out, then you can use the tool or a putty knife.

My apologies to you and others on here for misleading.

*Note made to look at stuff before I start blathering on*

Thanks all, strap wrench got the ring off and I had a metal razor blade stripper (blade removed) that fit the slot perfect. Really appreciate all the help

Nice work. I had one so seized in that I had to cut off the trim ring and cut out the threaded part. Little un-nerving. But I called my PB buddy and that is what his guy said that he would have done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.