Easy Touch Panel and Heat Pump questions

Oct 24, 2014
Clermont, FL
Hi All,

New forum member and new pool owner. Planning to do some major upgrades and am slightly confused. I have read through previous threads but still have a few lingering questions. Current pool is an IG 12K with Pentair Intelliflo pump and Jandy filter with roof solar panel and separate solar controller. I am adding a Pentair 125K UltraTemp Heat Pump and an IntelliChlor IC-40 SCG.

First question is AC wiring for the heat pump. I will have 100amp service to the pool equipment. The electrician quoted running the Heat Pump off a 50 amp breaker in the EasyTouch Load Center sub panel. Is that correct? I have read I should have the heat pump wired directly from the main on its own breaker? Or is the electrician accurate in his design here? I would also have the IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, and pool light breakers in the sub panel.

Next question, in my plumbing design I planned to have a bypass around the heat pump in case I just needed solar heat only. Do I need that bypass (other than for heat pump servicing, or is it OK to continuously run the output of the solar panel through the heat pump into the pool when the heat pump heat is off.

And last question, I can eliminate the existing solar controller and run the solar 3 way valve and the heat pump off the Easytouch as needed correct? I don't have any need for the existing solar controller once I convert to the Easytouch? And I would like to be able to run solar only, solar and heat pump, heat pump only, or neither from the Easytouch.

Thanks for the assistance! I have learned a lot from this forum already!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The heat pump should be on its own breaker. But, since the Load Center is a subpanel, it is fine for that breaker to be there.

You could go either way on the plumbing. You may get more flow if you bypass the heat pump at the same RPM, but your pump is big enough to handle it.

The easy touch should control the solar and that is preferred so that the pump speed can automatically be adjusted as well if needed.

First question is AC wiring for the heat pump. I will have 100amp service to the pool equipment. The electrician quoted running the Heat Pump off a 50 amp breaker in the EasyTouch Load Center sub panel. Is that correct?

Yup. Thats the way to do it. I have a 100 amp Easytouch load center. 50 amp breaker on the heat pump. Filter pump, IC-40, pool light, outlet, etc can all come off the Easytouch load center.

I have read I should have the heat pump wired directly from the main on its own breaker?

Not true. You can wire it from any panel/load center that has enough power. Nothing special about a "main panel" for wiring anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.