Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Easy Touch Panel and Heat Pump questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Easy Touch Panel and Heat Pump questions

Hi All,

New forum member and new pool owner. Planning to do some major upgrades and am slightly confused. I have read through previous threads but still have a few lingering questions. Current pool is an IG 12K with Pentair Intelliflo pump and Jandy filter with roof solar panel and separate solar controller. I am adding a Pentair 125K UltraTemp Heat Pump and an IntelliChlor IC-40 SCG.

First question is AC wiring for the heat pump. I will have 100amp service to the pool equipment. The electrician quoted running the Heat Pump off a 50 amp breaker in the EasyTouch Load Center sub panel. Is that correct? I have read I should have the heat pump wired directly from the main on its own breaker? Or is the electrician accurate in his design here? I would also have the IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, and pool light breakers in the sub panel.

Next question, in my plumbing design I planned to have a bypass around the heat pump in case I just needed solar heat only. Do I need that bypass (other than for heat pump servicing, or is it OK to continuously run the output of the solar panel through the heat pump into the pool when the heat pump heat is off.

And last question, I can eliminate the existing solar controller and run the solar 3 way valve and the heat pump off the Easytouch as needed correct? I don't have any need for the existing solar controller once I convert to the Easytouch? And I would like to be able to run solar only, solar and heat pump, heat pump only, or neither from the Easytouch.

Thanks for the assistance! I have learned a lot from this forum already!
    12K gal, IG, plaster, Jandy CS200 cartridge filter, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Pump, solar system. Adding soon - Pentair 125K Ultratemp heat pump, IntelliChlor IC-40 SCG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Easy Touch Panel and Heat Pump questions

Welcome to TFP!!!

The heat pump should be on its own breaker. But, since the Load Center is a subpanel, it is fine for that breaker to be there.

You could go either way on the plumbing. You may get more flow if you bypass the heat pump at the same RPM, but your pump is big enough to handle it.

The easy touch should control the solar and that is preferred so that the pump speed can automatically be adjusted as well if needed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Check with your local codes as most require a quick disconnect, like your AC has by it, for servicing safety.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Hotairfl View Post

First question is AC wiring for the heat pump. I will have 100amp service to the pool equipment. The electrician quoted running the Heat Pump off a 50 amp breaker in the EasyTouch Load Center sub panel. Is that correct?
    Yup. Thats the way to do it. I have a 100 amp Easytouch load center. 50 amp breaker on the heat pump. Filter pump, IC-40, pool light, outlet, etc can all come off the Easytouch load center.

I have read I should have the heat pump wired directly from the main on its own breaker?
    Not true. You can wire it from any panel/load center that has enough power. Nothing special about a "main panel" for wiring anything.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Excellent, thanks for the feedback!
    12K gal, IG, plaster, Jandy CS200 cartridge filter, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Pump, solar system. Adding soon - Pentair 125K Ultratemp heat pump, IntelliChlor IC-40 SCG.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Hotairfl
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Check with your local codes as most require a quick disconnect, like your AC has by it, for servicing safety.
    If the breaker is within line of sight it is suitable as a means of disconnect.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by racket View Post
    Check with your local codes on this. Within sight could be eight feet away. If I'm not mistaken, most codes require it to be within arms length of the equipment.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, most codes require it to be within arms length of the equipment.
    Racket's correct. Could be something local, however. The reason AC units have them is because the breaker's in the house, normally.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I am traveling without my code books, but IIRC the NEC is rule is 50'

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by racket View Post
    Thanks, this sub panel breaker would be approx 5ft from the heat pump.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Thanks, this sub panel breaker would be approx 5ft from the heat pump.
    Then unless there is some crazy local code a second disconnect is not required.