Problem with impeller and diffuser

Xexys

May 11, 2014
Mesa, Arizona
So yeah, I've narrowed down this problem I've been having for quite some time. I have an intelliflo one speed pump, I had taken it apart to diagnose the problem and have finally pinpointed the problem as the reverse screw washer being damaged. I put a new washer in, filed down the impeller where it had backed out and scraped itself against the diffuser and put it all back together. Fired it up and it worked great for a few weeks.

Now, I'm getting the same error as before. Upon startup, the pump hums for a bit and then will trip the breaker. If I take the plastic cover nut off the back of the shaft and spin the shaft, the pump will fire up. I must also note that the shaft will not spin by hand and that I must use a wrench to turn the shaft. I took the pump off and again checked my work and all seems to be fine but I still must play with the pump in order to get it fired. I should also mention that the shaft seems to always stop in the same position telling me that it's not spinning freely, although I cannot find where it would be getting hung up.

Hopefully somebody here can help me with my problem. I hope to be able to avert buying a new impeller and diffuser.

intelliflo one speed pump
?? Well there's your problem, it doesn't exist. JK

Looking at your sig, I take it you really have a Whisperflo?

Sounds like a bad motor bearings. Did you spin the shaft with the wet end removed (i.e. impeller exposed) and did it still bind? If so, it is probably the bearings.

But what you did could cause the bearings to fail anyway. Filing anything on the impeller will cause an imbalance which may eventually cause the bearings to fail.

So if you want to save the pump, you will need new impeller, diffuser and motor. But it may cost close to a new pump. But why do you have a 2 HP for just filtering? Is that for the in-floor drain or for a separate main drain? It may be a good time to downsize.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.