Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borates Test Kit

1. Back To Top    #1
    Calgary / AB

Borates Test Kit

Hello TFPers,

I'm trying to determine the borate level in my spa.
    I'm adding the Borax / Acid mix to help with my chemistry and bathing quality.

I got the La Motte test strips, but, as always, they are very hard to read.
    (I either have 50 ppm, 80 ppm or significantly more than 80 ppm..!?!)
    Essentially useless!

Does anyone make a drop-test kit for borates?

Thanks - D
    Jacuzzi J480 (2008) 1700 litres, Balboa ozonator, Delta EZ-18-120 UV lamp via custom 6-way 2-tier timer solenoid array, 2 x Waterway 4HP main pumps,
    1 x Aqua-Flow 1/15 HP circ pump, ChlorMaker IL SWG, SmartSeal + Roxul skirting insulation, 8' x 8' ThermoFloat Spa blanket, 100" x 100" Gator coverall

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Borates Test Kit

There used to be one, but it's no longer available. However, you really should not need to test for borates in a spa because you start off with zero in fill water and you add a specific amount of boric acid (or borax and acid) to get to the 50 ppm that you want. So there really is no need to test for it unless you don't trust your dosing measurements. Also, the absolute level of borates is not critical to get exactly right.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"