Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Ionizer

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Ionizer

I just learned today while shopping for our first pool that there is another type of pool system, my dealer referred to it as the copper system, but i believe its the pool Ionizer (he explained it more but there was a lot of info and i lost a portion of it). He likes it better then the salt system, does anyone on here have one of those? If you do how much do you like it or hate it, do you have any problems with it? Thank you in advance.
    Heidi V

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Ionizer

Welcome to the site! What kind of pool are you looking at?

If it's a copper system, it's just a band-aid for people that don't actually spend the time to maintain their pool properly. The new Intex salt water chlorine generators have a copper ionization system, the pool frog system is based on silver and copper, and lots of Algaecides are copper based. It does nothing to kill bacteria and pathogens in the water, it just slows the growth of algae. Some people swear by the copper systems. 99+% of everyone on this site will tell you to avoid copper like the plague. At higher levels, it causes green hair and pool staining, and is unnecessary if you maintain proper chlorine levels.
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

With about 5 minutes of searching this forum, you will quickly see that we do NOT recommend metal systems. It is not an approved sanitizer and while it may help prevent algae from taking over the water, it will NOT protect you from diseases.

Start with this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ools-The-Truth!
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Heidi

Most people on here tend to dismantle or disconnect their copper systems. Most end up here because they are having problems caused by their systems and find going with salt or chlorine and balancing their waters chemistry usually clears up their problems. Using salt or chlorine are the preferred methods and just so there is no confusion salt is a chlorine system you just don't need to cart gallons of bleach to your pool all the time.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all for the welcome. I did try to locate info in the forum before i asked, but i wasn't typing in the right words i guess. Any way i am glad i asked! Thank for letting me know. I was looking into a doughboy but I want salt system the man from the pool shop said that i can't use a salt system on doughboy. We are also looking into fiberglass in ground it all depends on how much we want to actually spend in the end. He also gave us information about a pool called the Ultimate Pool made by foxpool.com, it is apparently a pool system that was made for below ground but can be used for above ground as well. He has my husband sold. its 10,000 for just the pool not including the stairs for 2000, upgrade to salt 1500, led light 500 and install 5000.00. The guy is nice but i think he was just trying to upsell us. I thought winter time was sale time for pool ugg! that is for a 17 x32.

- - - Updated - - -

here is a link to that pool my hubby is sold on. http://foxpool.com/products/Details.aspx/Details-Ultimate

6. Back To Top    #6

Nature 2 is also a "metal" based system. Pool, no, but we do use in our stand alone hot tub. It works well, but again, for a pool, no. If you are looking for lower Maintence than BBB method that is popular here look into SWG.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

7. Back To Top    #7

Copper sulfate can be also used. There is no evidence that copper ions from an ionizing cell are different from copper ions from copper sulfate. Copper concentration has to be at 0.5ppm in the pool water and has to be measured. Any lower, and copper will not inhibit algae growth while at higher concentration copper may stain the pool or turn hair green. PH has to be kept lower as well. Taylor has a test set for copper.
    South of France inground rectangular 17k pool - ruber membrane. Sliding dome, black thermal blanket covering 75% of the pool surface. Aqualux 3/4Hp pump, glass media sand filter, Zodillac robot, 110W UV-c lamp, Hayward brominator, Caliente 12kW heat pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

Copper is not an approved sanitizer for a pool and is NOT recommended by TFP. Using chlorine is cheaper, safer and removes the risks.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Copper levels of 0.3 or higher are sufficient to cause stains unless the PH is very tightly controlled. Copper stains are quite unsightly and vary from difficult/expensive to impossible to remove.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Just say no to copper or any other metal based or inclusive product. ANY. There is no reason to use it in a swimming pool. It will cause staining and it will be difficult to remove once in the pool.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons