Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shop Vac Too Old?

1. Back To Top    #1

Shop Vac Too Old?

We are in the process of closing our pool for the first time. Everything was moving along very nicely, until we tried to blow the water out of the bottom drain. No water bubbles came up when using our 4.25hp shop vac. Could it be too old? too weak? Is it necessary to drain that line, since it is pretty far under ground? We are in the Raleigh/Durham area, so it doesn't usually get too cold. Last winter, though, we didn't close the pool, the temperature really dropped, the electricity went off for three days, the pipes froze, but amazingly they didn't burst. We thought we better try closing this year. Any ideas about the bottom drain?

Thanks,
    Rebecca
    24,300 gal., sand, vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Shop Vac Too Old?

It is very likely your vac is in good condition but just isn't strong enough to do the bottom drain. That is the reason the blower used for pools is $300
    Here is one supplier http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Air-S...FcQ-MgodrHUApQ
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

In the Industry

I only this year bought a cyclone blower to do clients pools, for 9 years I used my 5 HP shop vac, I never got a single bubble with the shop vac. The cyclone can make a volcano. Now, my pool is plumbed with spa flex and I believe it has some give when freezing occurs, I could be wrong, but all I did, was blow the line for 5 minutes, then added antifreeze and blew for another 5 minutes, shut ball valve and left it for winter. I believe when icing occurs, as long as the ice has a way to grow up the line, then it is ok. I would trust my shop vac for my pool, but not for a clients. Once I get bubbling to occur in main drain, I then shut ball valve and immediately put in a pressure plug. If you listen, the ball valve will just allow the air to come out.

4. Back To Top    #4

I do not have a bottom drain, but I use a shop vac. If I had a bottom drain and lived where I lived (central Illinois) I would buy a cyclone.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

5. Back To Top    #5

I had the same problem. I bought a cyclone blower after I saw that is what the pool company used when I called for help after my shop vac and air compressor wouldn't do the job. They charged me $300... the same price the vac is and now I can do it myself.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool