First time closing

Aug 29, 2014
Milwaukee, WI
Hi everyone.

I'm closing my grandmother's pool for the first time. I don't have my testing numbers, but the pool was slammed for Algae going into closing (which worked by the way) and the numbers were where they were supposed to be. I followed the closing instructions here... http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/146-closing-an-in-ground-pool.

I just had some finishing up questions. I live in Wisconsin, so the freezing thing is very real here. The filter/pump/heater are all in an enclosed/non-heated shed. I've pulled plugs and have let it all drain for a week. I was going to loosely replace the plugs with a new wrapping of teflon tape. Should I do that or leave them put an put plumber's putty on the threads instead?

The cover is spring mounted with the in-ground anchors that screw up/down. I drained the pool 4 inches below the jets. Do I have to monitor levels over the winter?

I saw some mention of emptying sand from the filter. Should I consider that?

Finally, is it better to leave things like the basket filter in the shed open or closed for the winter?

Thanks for your help,

Paul

Leave the drain plugs out for the winter, then replace them in the spring with some plumbers tape.

As long as the cover is opaque and you don't have fresh plaster (last six months) there is no need to monitor levels over the winter.

Don't empty the sand out. That risks damaging something and really doesn't help protect from freezing.

Everything except the drain plugs should be closed for the winter. You don't want to provide any way from water to get into the plumbing.

Jason's response was about chemical levels and monitoring.

As far as water level in the pool, yes, you would want to monitor the water level if the cover allows water through it. If the water level rises too much you can drop in a submersible pump and drain water out. For example, there was quite a bit of precip (rain and snow) here last winter and we drained down some water twice over the winter using the submersible however we had dropped the water level more than you during closing.

I'm in Wisconsin and after pumping the pool down for closing I usually end up pumping all the water on top of the tarp into the pool and I've never had too much water. Between the fall rain, winter snow and spring rain I've always still been a little shy of the skimmers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.