Should I paint my pool?

Sep 2, 2014
San Diego
I am looking for some advice as to whether or not I should paint my pool. I am not sure if the surface is plaster or gunite, but there is a coating over the concrete. View attachment 33602View attachment 33603
I finished acid washing the walls yesterday and they are nice and clean now. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the plaster (I will call it plaster, since I don't know what it actually is). I bought pool paint called INSL-X, that I was going to paint over the plaster, but now that the acid wash made the pool look very clean again, I am not sure if I should paint it or not. I have read some things that said painting would cause more maintenance for me, and to not use it. But, I have read other things that said it would protect the plaster. I'm wanting to do what will be best for the pool (long term) and what will cause the least amount of maintenance in the long run. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you -

Brian

Attachments

• poolfinish.jpg
    poolfinish.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 42
  • pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 42
Yes, that is plaster.

We never recommend using paint. None of the available paints last very long and many of them degrade in rather messy ways. The end result is frequent repainting and long term higher costs that sticking with plaster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.