Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I paint my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I paint my pool?

I am looking for some advice as to whether or not I should paint my pool. I am not sure if the surface is plaster or gunite, but there is a coating over the concrete. Attachment 33602Attachment 33603
    I finished acid washing the walls yesterday and they are nice and clean now. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the plaster (I will call it plaster, since I don't know what it actually is). I bought pool paint called INSL-X, that I was going to paint over the plaster, but now that the acid wash made the pool look very clean again, I am not sure if I should paint it or not. I have read some things that said painting would cause more maintenance for me, and to not use it. But, I have read other things that said it would protect the plaster. I'm wanting to do what will be best for the pool (long term) and what will cause the least amount of maintenance in the long run. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you -

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I paint my pool?

Yes, that is plaster.

We never recommend using paint. None of the available paints last very long and many of them degrade in rather messy ways. The end result is frequent repainting and long term higher costs that sticking with plaster.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Should I paint my pool?

Thank you!! That advice will save me a lot of time and money..