Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacement Pump Motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacement Pump Motor

Just want to make sure I have this right. I'm getting myself confused on Full-Rated vs. Up-Rated motors. I know how to calculate total horsepower. I'm just not sure which is which.

The motor is going out on my Hayward Super II pump. The current motor is labeled 1.5HP with a Service Factor of 1.33 (1.5 x 1.33 = 1.995). Is this considered a "Full-Rated" motor? And if I get an "Up-Rated" motor, do I then have to get a 2HP up-rated motor?

It also seems like up-rated motors are a bit cheaper than full rated motors. I had read that full-rated motors have more copper. Does this mean that full-rated motors last longer? Does one type of motor (assuming same total HP) use more electricity that the other?

Thanks!

-Todd
    18K IG Freeform Gunite w/ spill over spa, waterfall, Hayward 1.5 HP Pump, Pac-Fab cartridge filter, Raypak gas heater, Polaris 360. Now BBB thanks to TFP!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacement Pump Motor

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ed-vs-Up-Rated
    A Full-rated pump will have a larger service factor than an Up-rated pump.
    The equivalent to your 1.5HP full-rated motor would be a 2HP up-rated with a 1.0 SF.

There is ZERO difference between the up and full rated motors ... besides the label.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Great, thanks Jason!
    18K IG Freeform Gunite w/ spill over spa, waterfall, Hayward 1.5 HP Pump, Pac-Fab cartridge filter, Raypak gas heater, Polaris 360. Now BBB thanks to TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

The other question I have is, if I get a motor that is 1/2HP less than my current motor, but use the Hayward Upgraded Diffuser & Impeller Kit, will that get me where I need to be?

-Todd

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know what the "upgraded" kit is.

If you get a motor with a SFHP lower than your current motor, then you will also need a smaller impeller. You will also get lower flow rates which may not be good enough for your spa/waterfall. Depends if you think the current jets are too much.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Another key point is that if you use an a lower HP motor with an impeller meant for a higher HP there is a good probability you will burn out that motor. Unless you really like replacing motors I would suggest making sure the motor and drivetrain are synced up.