I'm changed the spa water and

Oct 10, 2011
I used a system flush before draining and replacing the water. I then shocked the spa to 12 with dichlor to get some CYA in the water. I think I got the cart ahead of the horse here and should have balanced the water before shocking. I filled the spa out of the hose which is city water and was able to get samples to check the CH and TA. Can I proceed to balance the water or will the high chlorine through off the readings? I did put some calcium chloride in the tub to get the CH up. Im wondering if I need to wait till the FC drops to balance the water. Thanks for any help. Jim

All of the tests will work at that FC level except the PH test. It is best to wait until the FC level is 10 or lower before measuring PH. On the other hand, FC is probably below 10 already, as it is extremely likely that at least some of the chlorine got used up cleaning up the spa.

Only the PH test is impacted with high FC. You should wait until your FC gets to 10 before you test PH. If you are in a hurry, you can take your cover off and allow sunlight to help bring down your FC.

Feel free to test and adjust TA and CH.

I used a system flush before draining and replacing the water.
Just so you know, if you are going to be doing a grease/biofilm removal step we now recommend Ahh-Some instead of SeaKlear Spa System Flush or Swirl Away or other similar products. The Ahh-Some product has consistently done an equal or better job at such removal than the others.

This time I still had some left from previous treatment that I needed to use up. I remember when you helped me last time I changed the water that you said you were recommending the Ahh-Some now. Next flush will see some though. Thanks for the reminder. I just checked the numbers on the tub and they were FC 10.5, CH 100, TA 50, CYA 20. Didn't check PH so I probably can check it later today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.