Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm changed the spa water and

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm changed the spa water and

I used a system flush before draining and replacing the water. I then shocked the spa to 12 with dichlor to get some CYA in the water. I think I got the cart ahead of the horse here and should have balanced the water before shocking. I filled the spa out of the hose which is city water and was able to get samples to check the CH and TA. Can I proceed to balance the water or will the high chlorine through off the readings? I did put some calcium chloride in the tub to get the CH up. Im wondering if I need to wait till the FC drops to balance the water. Thanks for any help. Jim
    27 foot round above ground

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: I'm changed the spa water and

All of the tests will work at that FC level except the PH test. It is best to wait until the FC level is 10 or lower before measuring PH. On the other hand, FC is probably below 10 already, as it is extremely likely that at least some of the chlorine got used up cleaning up the spa.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Fairfax, VA

Only the PH test is impacted with high FC. You should wait until your FC gets to 10 before you test PH. If you are in a hurry, you can take your cover off and allow sunlight to help bring down your FC.

Feel free to test and adjust TA and CH.
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig Heater 336K BTU, TF-100 test kit.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate the help. Hopefully the balancing act will go well!

5. Back To Top    #5

San Rafael, CA USA

Quote Originally Posted by fishcrazy View Post
    I used a system flush before draining and replacing the water.
    Just so you know, if you are going to be doing a grease/biofilm removal step we now recommend Ahh-Some instead of SeaKlear Spa System Flush or Swirl Away or other similar products. The Ahh-Some product has consistently done an equal or better job at such removal than the others.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

This time I still had some left from previous treatment that I needed to use up. I remember when you helped me last time I changed the water that you said you were recommending the Ahh-Some now. Next flush will see some though. Thanks for the reminder. I just checked the numbers on the tub and they were FC 10.5, CH 100, TA 50, CYA 20. Didn't check PH so I probably can check it later today.