Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Light Problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Light Problems

One day last week, the pool light just went really really dim. I turned it off for a few minutes, then when I turned it back on it was fine. But then again it went dim after about 1 minute. This weekend I took it out to find a good amount of water inside the fixture where the bulb is at. I also noticed a small hole I guess from corrosion after the years. I took the bulb out and tested it. It works fine. I let it sit out and dry for 1 day then tried to test it outside the pool for about 1 second and nothing. The hole tells me that water is getting inside of it and might off shorted out some stuff, cuz I did see a little smoke coming from it when I turned it on for that 1 second. So I guess I need to replace the the whole fixture all together.

My light is a American Products Amerlite. Can I just replace the fixture and use the same cord thats already there? Looks like the cord connector can just be unscrewed with a wrench. Or do I need to repalce the entire cord also? What will that entail?

TIA
    Tampa, Florida

17,000 gallon IG pool, DE FIlter, pebble finish, 1 1/2 hp, 8 4x10 solar panels, screen cage, combined ozone/SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Light Problems

The fixture is most likely shorted out. I would shut off the breaker that feeds that fixture.

Fixtures that I know of have the cord sealed with in the fixture so that it is water tight,
    so the whole fixture would need to be replaced.
    As far as replacement,make sure that you can get a direct replacement or one that will
    fit properly in your niche.

Then you need to find the junction box where the wires are spliced or terminated.
    Shut off the breaker that feeds this cord. Since the cord could be rather long,
    use some mason string (nylon-thin -strong) (home depot) tie it to one of the wires
    at the end of the cord then tape it to the cord itself with electrical tape.
    This way when you pull the old cord out of the conduit you will have a way to pull the
    new cord back through to the junction box

jb
    14x28 IG Vinyl
    12.5k gal
    Hayward SP-Super Pump
    Hayward Pro-Grid 36sqft DE
    Hayward auto chlorine feeder (offline:using BBB)
    Hayward AG Gas heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the tips.

So I guess I can't take the existing cord off and just attach it to the new fixture assembly huh?

I guess the "fishing" it through will work though..Just need to see how long a cord I will need.

Thanks again!
    Tampa, Florida

17,000 gallon IG pool, DE FIlter, pebble finish, 1 1/2 hp, 8 4x10 solar panels, screen cage, combined ozone/SWG.

4. Back To Top    #4

Another question..

I have a 500W bulb. Is it safe to assume that I have a 120V model and not the 12V model?
    Tampa, Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Actually no , you shouldnt disconnect the wire from the fixture as it will break the integrity of the seal.
    A ne fixture will have the cord already attached and sealed from the factory. It may look accessable but it should not be broken
    or it will leakso the cord and the fixture are considered one piece. Thats why i suggested pulling a line through with your old cord.
    On the old unit you can disconnect all the cords you want (after its out )

Thats how i always figured out how stuff was put together
    14x28 IG Vinyl
    12.5k gal
    Hayward SP-Super Pump
    Hayward AG Gas heater

6. Back To Top    #6

If it is a 12v unit then somewhere in the line form the breaker to the fixture there will be a transformer to step down from the 120v feed. Usuallly located in a junction box located not too far from the fixture,
    (above ground) you may also find it printed on the bulb if its not too old. But 500W most likely is 120v if its an older model

jb
    14x28 IG Vinyl
    12.5k gal
    Hayward SP-Super Pump
    Hayward AG Gas heater

7. Back To Top    #7

cool..

I will need to detach or cut the cord from the old unit in order to pull it through though, guess it doesn't matter since it will be scrap anyways...right?
    Tampa, Florida