Pentair Equipment Suggestion

Oct 24, 2014
San Diego
Hi
New to this forum and hope I'm posting in the correct place.
We're in the process of selecting a pool company to build our first pool. Part of their quote includes Pentair equipment but since we're new to this process, I wanted to get an outside opinion if this sounds like what we need, is it more than we need or is there an updated model I should ask about. I have listed it below as it is written in our quote so not clear if there are specific model numbers. Thanks in advance for the input.

IntelliFlo variable speed pump
420 Clean & Clear Plus Filter
MasterTemp 400,000 BTU Heater
IntelliChlor IC 60 chlorine generator

20'wide X 40'long pool (130 perimeter ft)
30,000 Gal
6'x8' attached spa (6 jets)

Welcome to TFP!

That is a reasonably good selection of equipment, though there are some minor points worth looking into.

Personally, I would upgrade to the filter to the 520. This is hardly essential, but worth the small additional cost for most people. Larger filters can go longer between cleanings and are just slight more efficient overall.

I don't recommend the IntelliChlor unless you are also getting a Pentair brand automation system. The IntelliChlor has very limited control without the automation system. Several other brands are just as good and give you much more control over the SWG. The main issue is that you can only adjust the percentage setting in steps of 20% without the automation system.

I have the exact same equipment, except I have an IC40 instead of IC60. My pool is smaller (18,000 gallons). Just to give you a frame of reference, I have the 420 cartridge filter and I just wash it out once a year with a pool my size. I would assume you would probably have more frequent cleaning with a 30k gal pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.