Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New EC40 and intex skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Anderson, ca

New EC40 and intex skimmer

I bought an EC40 with a 1hp pump.

I was using an intex over the side skimmer. The small particles get thru the skimmer basket and plug up the screen in the sidewall connection which blocks the water flow.

Since the hayward pump has a skimmer basket can I break out the screen in the intex sidewall connector? I can't think of any reason not to except for safety reasons. I guess the edges might be sharp from breaking and a little kids arm might fit in. Any suggestions on what to do?
    5061 gal AG Intex 16 x 48 Ultra metal frame installed 8/10/14. 1500 gph Intex Cartridge Filter Pump with over side skimmer. Intex SWG 7k gal. TF-100 Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

Re: New EC40 and intex skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

New Brunswick Canada

Re: New EC40 and intex skimmer

I am not familiar with these, it sounds like it acts like any skimmer basket. These are meant to keep larger items out of the pump and filter. You just need to clean it more regularly.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Elverson Pa.

New EC40 and intex skimmer

You could also try a skimmer sock or a nylon knee high over the skimmer basket to catch the smaller stuff that's getting thru. You'll still have to keep an eye on the sock as they will catch a lot of junk and restrict water flow also. They work great in pollen season but again keep an eye on them and clean out as needed.
    I use them all the time. They catch a lot of junk before it hits the filter. 😎
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.